Tax relief from IVF treatment

yupyaboyo

Hi,

Hopefully you can answer some of my questions in relation to claiming back expenses paid out for IVF treatment in 2013

Quick re-cap:
Health Plan: Laya Simply Health Excess
Relationship: Married but not registered for joint assessment, individually accessed
Total Cost: 10k with 2k being paid back via health plan

Note: Laya have provided us with an out-patient statement of our receipts for 2013

Question 1. My assumption is that we can claim back on the 8k, is this correct?
Question 2. Do we each make a claim splitting the 8k in half i.e. my wife claims 4k and I clam the other 4k? Or does it make a difference who claims it?

Your advice is appreciated.

Hi,

Yes, you can claim tax relief on 8k. You should be able to make the claim online using PAYE anytime.

The person who paid for the treatment is entitled to claim the relief. So if you split the cost down the middle then you should each claim 4k. Remember, claiming tax relief on medical expenses is only of any use if you paid tax in that year.

Best of luck with everything.

its only tax relief at 20% you get, that would be €1600 back to one or €800 each.

Just a follow up question, since we are married is it easier for one of us to put through a claim for the entire amount or its better to separate out the receipts, then individually make a claim?

Thanks.

same difference. As long as one pays the tax, then one can reclaim. If one does not pay that amount of tax, (€8K), then the other should claim. If you both pay tax, then split the amount if you want, but make sure that the split covers the €8K. if one only pays €2K tax, then s/he cannot reclaim €4K. You can only reclaim up to the amount you have paid.

Thanks...got a break down of medical expenses from our health insurer. We used this to break down amounts paid per individual and the tax man seemed happy with that.

Back