tax relief for overseas pensions plans

Andynb

Noticed the below when looking at the revenue site

Now a quick question, i think i already know the answer but if you don`t ask you don`t get.
With everyone rushing to get UK NI contributions updated for there UK state pensions, would the above cover these contributions? Would be nice if the Irish government gave us something back like the UK is lol. I`m pretty sure its only for private pension plans you are doing AVC for abroad. But the wording is a little vague.
Like i say if you don`t ask you don`t get.

I wouldnt think so, you are making NI contributions akin to PRSI and not pension contributions, so no relief available,

Noticed the below when looking at the revenue site

Now a quick question, i think i already know the answer but if you don`t ask you don`t get.
With everyone rushing to get UK NI contributions updated for there UK state pensions, would the above cover these contributions? Would be nice if the Irish government gave us something back like the UK is lol. I`m pretty sure its only for private pension plans you are doing AVC for abroad. But the wording is a little vague.
Like i say if you don`t ask you don`t get.
I'm tax resident in Germany and get tax relief on my voluntary Irish PRSI contributions (and Brits here get the same relief on the NICs if they put them in their tax returns). I get this tax relief because the voluntary PRSI payments only cover pension benefit and little else. They are not like class A contributions made by a person living in Ireland that entitles them to unemployment benefits etc. Are UK NICs like this too? If you can argue that they are only for a pension, I don't see why you shouldn't be able to claim for them. I suppose you can claim, put in an expression of doubt and let them tell you it's not allowed?

I suppose you could submit the details of the payment to the Revenue, explain clearly what it was for, attach supporting documents and let them make the decision.

From Google article circ 2015

Class 2 NICs currently provides the self-employed with access to a range of state benefits: the Basic State Pension, Bereavement Benefits, Maternity Allowance and contributory Employment and Support Allowance.

Back