Tax relief for 3rd level course.

suemoo

Hi all,

I am currently studying a degree part time which my employers will reimburse the cost to me once complete.

Is it possible for me to claim the relief on given for the course? or because I will be reimbursed should I not? (ie: do you think the company can claim this benefit?)

Also I did ask investigate at work to see if they were able to claim this on my behalf but no one knew.....

thanks
Moo

If your employer reimburses you for the cost of the course then you cant claim tax back. if your employer does not reimburse you then you can claim tax back at the standard rate (20%) provided that it is an approved course. Generally speaking the course provider should be able to confirm if the course is approved. Of course you could chance claiming tax back and then get reimbursed by your employer but its likely that your employer will attempt to claim tax back also. And both your employer and Revenue will require the orginal recipt of fees paid.

thanks wicklow :)

I did check and the course is accepted by the revenue. however i cant find out from anyone in my employers if they claim the relief.......i dont want to be greedy and claim something that im not entitled to however im also not willing to lose out on a couple of grand.......i suppose i should investigate a litte further with work!

Well my own experience was that the last few years i claimed tax back but this year my employer seen the light and reimbursed me (a week after i paid the fees). i was pretty tempted to claim the tax back but im sure any company account with half a brain would be claiming it back for the company regardless of wherether they will tell you or not. If the tax back is claimed twice im sure revenue will pick up on it eventually

Back