Tax Relief and Single Scheme

AhComeOn

I'm a member of the single scheme and I am trying to figure out two things.

Firstly, what counts towards tax relief limits from the single scheme. For example is it the case that lump sum contributions and retirement benefit contributions count towards the percentage tax relief limit or does it also include S&C and the ASC also count towards it? I'm asking to try decipher what capacity I have to increase AVCs.

Secondly (more generally) how should a married couple think about tax relief limits on pension contribution if jointly assessed. Do we both get to take advantage of the tax relief limits despite the fact we are taxed jointly? If one spouse is a lower earner and can only contribute X% at the higher rate, can we as a unit, get relief at the higher rate above what the spouse would get individually?

Thanks for your help and views.

I'm a member of the single scheme and I am trying to figure out two things.

Firstly, what counts towards tax relief limits from the single scheme. For example is it the case that lump sum contributions and retirement benefit contributions count towards the percentage tax relief limit or does it also include S&C and the ASC also count towards it? I'm asking to try decipher what capacity I have to increase AVCs.

There is no separate S&C contribution in the Single Scheme, as far as I am aware (but in schemes in which this does apply, it counts towards the age-related pension limit).

All of your contributions in the Single Scheme count towards your age-related pension limit, whether these are applied towards your lump sum or annual pension entitlements. But the ASC does not count.

Back