Tax refunds - make sure to claim!

glasto

Can I urge everyone to apply for the tax refunds they are probably due? I always claimed my medical tax refunds, but never got round to claiming for bin charges, trade union fees etc. I knew I'd be too damn lazy to do it myself so I got a firm to do it for me, they get 12.5% of my rebate. Anyway today they called me to say I'm getting a cheque for almost 2k! I'm totally delighted, it took no time to fill in their form. Anyway, if you haven't done this you really should, I was only expecting a few hundred quid, so I'm delighted!

But it's simple to do this on PAYE.ie
Just read down through the list of what you can claim for and if it matches your entitlements then job done.

Can I urge everyone to apply for the tax refunds they are probably due? I always claimed my medical tax refunds, but never got round to claiming for bin charges, trade union fees etc. I knew I'd be too damn lazy to do it myself so I got a firm to do it for me, they get 12.5% of my rebate. Anyway today they called me to say I'm getting a cheque for almost 2k! I'm totally delighted, it took no time to fill in their form. Anyway, if you haven't done this you really should, I was only expecting a few hundred quid, so I'm delighted!

The most you could possibly get back for union subs and bin charges, over the 4 years you're allowed to go back, is somewhere under a grand; I have to wonder what was the "etc" that makes up the difference?!

And I hope it was a reputable firm you used?

The most you could possibly get back for union subs and bin charges, over the 4 years you're allowed to go back, is somewhere under a grand; I have to wonder what was the "etc" that makes up the difference?!

And I hope it was a reputable firm you used?

Well there was rent too, and who knows what else. The firm looks ok to me, and I'm an ex auditor. :D

Well there was rent too, and who knows what else. .

This is very vague particularly from an ex auditor. Can you not list exactly where the 2K came from to help other people. There are limits/ceilings on how much rent relief and bin charges are going to get in tax relief.

But you are right to advise people to claim all their tax refunds on time.

Well there was rent too, and who knows what else. The firm looks ok to me, and I'm an ex auditor. :D

If you're an ex-auditor did you not also train as an accountant at the same time? And if so could you not have done the tax credit yourself on PAYE online as another posted mentioned. Anyway it's good to highlight the tax credits not enough people get their full benefits due to them.

If you're an ex-auditor did you not also train as an accountant at the same time? And if so could you not have done the tax credit yourself on PAYE online as another posted mentioned. Anyway it's good to highlight the tax credits not enough people get their full benefits due to them.

Yes of course I could have done it myself online, I'm sure its a piece of cake However in four years I'd never got round to it and figured I probably never would, so thought 12.5% was a small price to pay. Yes I used a reputable firm, I won't name them as I don't want to be accused of advertising. I'd prefer not to give an exact breakdown of the figures, it just included all the usual, rent, medical expenses, bin charges, trade union fees and so on, and I claimed for my husband as well. I just wanted to nudge people to say that if you can't be bothered doing it yourself, then there is another way, and it might be worth your while!

I qualified in the UK 15 years ago, I know zilch about the Irish Tax system, I never worked in Ireland as an auditor.

Glasto, you're very patient to come back with such polite replies to the responses made to your post. Thanks for the advice and I will look into doing something similar.

Claiming all your tax credits is simple.

You can do it by:
  • phone
  • SMS
  • walking-in to a tax office
There is no need to pay anybody.

You can do it by:
  • phone
  • SMS

No, there is no need to pay anyone. But if you are a lazy bugger like me, you might find it easier to get someone else to do it for you.:p

tax allowances

Hi,
Yes indeed it pays to be informed about reliefs.

I read a post here last year on askaboutmoney about claiming pension relief on PRSI and health levy contributions.

I'm afraid I hadn't realised I could claim this on my self-employed PRSA.

As I had maximised contributions at the 41% band I got several thousand back in tax, which was nice!!

I also made sure to maximise my 2010 contribution before the December 31st so I hope to get this allowance in respect of 2010 contributions as well.

It's all downhill from there I guess due to budget pension tax relief changes.

Regards,
Gearoid

It is from 2011 onwards but can still be claimed for 2010 and previous years ( back to 2006 I think)

There are approx 1.1 million paye taxpayers in Ireland and it is a well known statistic that only around 10% ask for balancing statement each year .

That is a lot of paye taxpayers not claiming their correct entitlements .

Don't ask me for the source - ask www.revenue.ie

You can do it by:
  • phone
  • SMS

+1

To the "lazy buggers", I think the point here is that it doesn't require any less work on your part, even if you pay someone else to apply for the refund. You still have to fill in a form or hand over the information, to someone, so it doesn't really make any sense to pay a substantial % of your rebate unnecessarily...

Back