Tax on Site Allowance

ask73

I work with a Local authority on Site

As part of our Job on site we get paid an allowance to get from our fixed place of work to the site which is a portocabin, travel around the site inspecting contractors wor which is up to 50 miles a day. As a result we forgo any subsistance or mileage for this allowance.

This is 200 per week since the year 2000
In 2008 the allowance was taxed.
In 2009 the allowance was subject to pension levy, Income levy also
In 2010(last week) the allowance is now subject to 25% reduction in line with Dept of Finance cut on Expenses.
This leaves us now with a net of approx €60 per week to travel up to 2 hrs a day to and from our fixed place of work, travel around a site that accumulates up to 50 miles a day and for go any allowances for this under employers duties.

Is this issue being dealt with in the appropriate manner by our employer?

Assuming you're referring to the use of your own vehicle, your employer should be able to pay you tax free mileage expenses in relation to the "50 miles a day". The rates applied should be the civil service mileage rates (or a lesser rate). You can obtain these at www.revenue.ie .

However, the payment of tax free mileage expenses in relation to journeys from your home to your place of work shouldn't be allowed.

The above's just my high level view and I'd need more detail to give a definitive view.

The mileage to work is not from home but is from my fixed address of employment. If my office is in Thurles and asked to look after a job in Tipperary then this is not travelling from home

Back