Tax on shares bought via Euro broker

soy

Am looking at buying some ETF's in Frankfurt using Keytrade. Before I go any further I am trying to figure out the tax situation and which Tax treaty applies.

I am in Ireland.
Keytrade (broker) is based in Belgium.
The ETF is traded in Germany.
ETF issuer is based in France (lyxor).

Any idea on which tax treaty is applicable?

Is it simply Ireland-Belgium, or does the location where the share is traded and whom it is issued by also come into it?

Unless foreign witholding taxes apply (e.g. on dividends and/or capital gains) - for which you will probably get a credit against your Irish liabilities once you have the supporting documentation - I would have assumed that if you are Irish tax resident/domiciled then only Irish tax applies?

I gave a ring to Keytrade and they mentioned that they won't take any tax from profits. One is supposed to arrange this accordingly to your country of residence.

I am based in Ireland, but would like to buy in London or Amsterdam. Does anyone knows if the tax positions for those countries are the same regarding an irish investor?

I visited the www.revenue.ie website, and it seemed to me that this is the case, although, I am not a lawyer and don't trust my interpretation.

Don't depend on a stockbroker for professional advice on tax matters.
If you need professional advice then get it from a good accountant or tax advisor.
My comments above stand but they are pretty general and don't answer the question for specific cases.

Back