tax on sale of house

john luc

a family member who inherited her home through the death of her husband in the 1990's and had being living there from the mid 60's had left the house and moved out and into a new house as her old house was falling into disrepair. After many years she has now sold off the old house for €30K. The solicitor suggested that she would have to pay Tax on this amount but I cannot see how either CAT or CGT could apply. The house was abandoned and was no longer considered her principle home.
Any thoughts would be welcome.

Has the house increased or decreased in value during the period since the death of her husband? Assuming the latter, it's hard to see how there could be a CGT liability.

The solicitor suggested that she would have to pay Tax on this amount but I cannot see how either CAT or CGT could apply.

If the solicitor suggests this, then he should give her in writing a computation which can be questioned.

Or it might be that the solicitor is simply saying to her "I am not a tax expert - take professional advice on any tax liability you might have."

Brendan

It could be CGT, it could be LPT or it could be the NPPR levy ( not a tax as such, but a charge). Without more information, we can only guess.

she moved into the house as a married wife back in the 60's and her husband died in the late 90's leaving her the house. As time moved on she moved out to live with another family member and the house slowly fell into disrepair. This year she sold the old house for €30K which is a loss on the capital side as when she inherited the house in the 90's it was in good repair. SHE did pay the LPT up to this year as the house was still declared habitable.

If she made a capital loss, and she paid the LPT, then I guess it's the NPPR levy.

Back