Tax on Salary and Allowances for foreign expatriate in Ireland

sandyh2001in

Hi I am a non Irish citizen, but tax resident IT contractor working in Dublin.

I am currently under a management company setup who would deduct my expenses from my total salary to arrive at taxable salary and then apply tax and other deductions on the entire lot. Unfortunately this works out to be very expensive for me and I havent been able to retain more than 64 percent of my earnings with this arrangement.

I have spoken to a company who are Europe based (but having a presence in Ireland too) who have offered something radically different. They have offered to pay me a percentage of my total earnings as 'salary' through their Irish payroll. This is only as much that would come under the 20 percent tax bracket.
They propose to pay the entire rest of the earnings as 'allowances' into a non Irish, non UK bank account. They tell me that it then is my responsibility to declare that amount and pay tax on that or not. Good news for me is that this arrangement allows me to keep at least 75 percent of my earnings

Does the above offering sound legal?
Is it not the same thing tax wise for me , the only difference being that in my current arrangement , the tax is calculated and withheld from me in advance of paying me but in this offering they are basically leaving the tax calculation upto me? I have done some research on 'Remittance basis' and this sounds related to my situation.

And as I think more about this, am I even supposed to pay tax on those allowances lodged in a foreign bank account if I choose not to bring it back to Ireland at all? Afterall the salary paid through Irish payroll is being taxed as normal .

Could someone clarify what are my tax liabilities are as a foreign expatriate in Ireland please?

At a minimum I believe that if the income is earned in Ireland and you are resident in Ireland then you are taxable on it here too.

The best thing to do is seek proper tax advise from the professionals about how to optimise your tax situation, rather than getting involved in these kind of grey schemes you have described, as I expect that if you get caught it will cost you a lot more than the 11 percent you are trying to save....

Having spent 20 years contracting here in Switzerland, I can tell you the outcome of a similar scheme that went on here about 5 years ago: When the agency involved was caught, the directors went to jail for 2 years and all the contractors involved were required to pay penalties and interest at 1.5% per month on the outstanding amounts. On top of that, all non EU/Swiss citizens were barred from work permits for a 10 year period and since Swiss permits are linked to EU permits, it means that they are basically excluded from visiting or working in Western Europe for a very long time!

Jim

Back