Tax on repaying sign on bonus

romahony

I am just going to use round figures here as it makes it easier.
In my current role I got a sign on bonus when I started last year. Lets say it was 10k. At the time it was taxed as additional. income and in the high rate.

If I leave within 2 years I need to repay the portion of the sign on bonus based on the time. So if I left after a year I would have to repay 5k.

I am self accessed for 2017 which I have yet to submit to due shares.
My question is.

So a the time I paid like 5200 tax on the 10k. Or whatever it was with USC etc. Now if after a year they expect me to pay back 5k can I claim back the tax that I already paid as it no longer income as they are clawing it back. If this something that the company will do or will they do that themselves and without the tax so only ask me to may back like 2500 approx which is what I owe post tax and they have the rest.

Any ideas thanks.

I’d imagine that they would process it through payroll so that your last months salary would be €5,000 lower and therefore the tax would refunded automatically by implication in this job or the next.

I agree with Joe.

This would normally be done via payroll.

i.e. gross signing on bonus deducted from gross salary, so no need for you to do anything.

Back