tax on plumbing job

Smiley2008

Hi all,

Apologies if this is in the wrong forum. Please move it if necessary.

I am having a "learning from my mistakes" week as regards getting work done in my appartment. The tip of the iceberg being taking a friend's recommendation for a plumber.

I got a plumber to do some work in my apt on Monday. When I asked him for a receipt he asked if it was for tax purposes. I said yes and he said he would have to add 35% on top of the price he had originally quoted me and it wouldn't be worth my while. I haven't paid him the full amount yet as he is to come back and finish a few things but I'm just wondering is that 35% the correct figure? because someone else told me it was around 13% for a plumber. The job is costing me enough without another 35% on top.

Thanks in advance.

13.5% is the standard rate of VAT/TAX. The fact that your plumber is asking for 35% means that he is not VAT registered. You will have to pay the 35% and you can reclaim a portion of it via your accountant afterwards.

Tell him to stuff it. You're entitled to a receipt for the money you pay him. Hand him a receipt to sign before you hand over the money.

It's not down to you to support his tax evasion.

Only pay what you agreed first day and get a receipt VAT inclusive for that.

If he messes you about .... report him

'cos he's robbing you, me and the country blind!

If not Vat registered he is not obliged to give you a receipt inclusive of vat (he maybe under the threshold), but you are certainly entitled to a receipt of all moneys paid,
sounds like he is saying he quoted you a 'cash' sum, kindly tell him its illegal, maybe
even suggest you asked your 'cousin' who works for the revenue for clarification on it!!!

People wonder why were as a country are still in this hole the banks put us in, well we'll be here a lot longer with the black economy running like this!

13.5% is the standard rate of VAT/TAX. The fact that your plumber is asking for 35% means that he is not VAT registered. You will have to pay the 35% and you can reclaim a portion of it via your accountant afterwards.

Can you elaborate on this. 35% RCT tax is only deducted by main contractors on subbies who do not have a C2. A private householder is not a main contractor.

Where is this accountant that let's us claim back VAT on household repairs?

Back