Tax on income levy???

legend99

In my place of work it seems that we have paid tax on the income levy - e.g. gross weekly pay of €1,000, then levy = €10 but tax has been paid on the €1,000 as opposed to €990 - can anyone confirm if that is correct?

Thanks!

In my place of work it seems that we have paid tax on the income levy - e.g. gross weekly pay of €1,000, then levy = €10 but tax has been paid on the €1,000 as opposed to €990 - can anyone confirm if that is correct?

Thanks!

To me the levy would be on a gross wage.

if present gross wage is 1000 them levy is 10 euro.

I see levy to be counted as part of prsi

I think the original poster's point is that the levy is €1K @ 1% = €10 but then tax and PRSI are calculated on the original gross figure of €1K rather than on the €900 figure net of the income levy. As far as I know this is correct and there is no income tax credit or other allowance in respect of the income levy.

Update - see here:
Q. Does the Income Levy reduce my taxable income for PAYE / PRSI purposes?
A. No.

It is hard to follow, anyway from the top of my head:

Gross Pay = 1000
PAYE = 192.61
PRSI = 54.92
Income Levy = 10

Net Pay = 742.47

The Income Levy is returned to Revenue as PAYE, the Parking Levy (when/if implemented) as PRSI.

I think the original poster's point is that the levy is €1K @ 1% = €10 ... rather than on the €900 figure net of the income levy.

Glad you aren't doing my taxes! Though it would sort out the deficit pretty quick ;)

Thanks guys - yes, the point I was asking is that tax is charged on the gross amount of pay before levey deduction

Thanks guys - yes, the point I was asking is that tax is charged on the gross amount of pay before levey deduction

It would seem so. The Levy is calculated on 'Identified "Gross Income" as defined'. PAYE/PRSI are based on "Gross Income" less Superannuation.
So, you end up paying PAYE/PRSI on the Levy too.
Tax on tax...

The Levy is calculated on 'Identified "Gross Income" as defined'. PAYE/PRSI are based on "Gross Income" less Superannuation.

This appears to be correct ....So we now have to pay 1% Levy on our pension contribution

Watch out........Next budget , we will probably end up paying PAYE/PRSI on our pension contributions as well

It was explained to us in work that the levy would be applied to taxable pay. So i took that to mean that i was paying 1% of my salary minus my pension contribution. So if my gross is €1000 and my pension is €30 the levy applied is €9.70.

is this wrong? Wouldn't be suprised at all if our payroll dept got it all wrong and we all get a bill come december!

It was explained to us in work that the levy would be applied to taxable pay. So i took that to mean that i was paying 1% of my salary minus my pension contribution. So if my gross is €1000 and my pension is €30 the levy applied is €9.70.

is this wrong? Wouldn't be suprised at all if our payroll dept got it all wrong and we all get a bill come december!

Yes , that is wrong....Its taxable pay INCLUDING your pension contribution........

Check your next payslip and multiply your full gross pay x 1 %

If it is as you say above , then you will get a bill in December 09 for ........€ 15.60 underpayment

Yes. It comes off before any Pension deductions, but after the Travel Pass and bike scheme.

Back