Tax on contract work

tommygirl

I hope this is in the correct section as it is both tax and welfare.
My husband has been unemployed now for over 18 months. He is a doing a part-time Springboard university course whereby his fees are paid. It is not part of Back to Education or anything like that. He received JSB for 12 months. Based on my income he is not entitled to any JSA and he only has to sign on once a year - I assume he is still registered as unemployed. We are claiming home carers tax credit.
As part of the course he has to do a project with a company who have now offered him approx 10 days work over the next few months on a daily rate. There may be a possibility of more work but nothing concrete. He obviously needs to pay tax on this money.
If he does not get any full-time work by next September he would like to continue this course and obviously we would prefer if his fees were paid again. He has to be unemployed to qualify for the Springboard scheme. He is not considering turning down the work but financially he would not earn enough to offset the fees that would be due to continue the course.
I would appreciate advise on how he can pay tax on the 10 days work but yet remain as unemployed if this is possible. We are not trying to defraud in any way.
Thanks
Tommygirl

Back