Tax on Canadian ETF for someone returning to Ireland

DarLev

Hi,

I am currently a tax resident of Canada (born in Ireland, moved to Canada 8 years ago).

I bought some Canadian domiciled Vanguard SP500 ETF (VSP) a few years back.

I am looking at moving back to Ireland permanently and had a question on how Ireland calculates the Capital Gains tax?

Does Ireland calculate the capital gains on the cost base of the asset (fair market value) on the date a person arrives/becomes resident in Ireland (or on the original purchase price?)

Thanks

Hi,

I am currently a tax resident of Canada (born in Ireland, moved to Canada 8 years ago).

I bought some Canadian domiciled Vanguard SP500 ETF (VSP) a few years back.

I am looking at moving back to Ireland permanently and had a question on how Ireland calculates the Capital Gains tax?

Does Ireland calculate the capital gains on the cost base of the asset (fair market value) on the date a person arrives/becomes resident in Ireland (or on the original purchase price?)

Thanks

I am in a similar situation. I came back to Ireland from Canada a few years ago but haven't moved funds yet. However mine were in a TFSA so I am presuming I won't nee to tax on them? I also have some in an RRSP but not planning on moving those funds for a while.

Are yours outside a TFSA/RRSP?

Back