Tax Implications of Contract in Belgium

Lorz

I am a consultant with a private limited company and have been offered a 9month contract in Belgium. I was worried there might be tax implications for this and rang my accountant who said there was no issue only that the Revenue were clamping down on "place of work" rule with regard to subsistence and expenses claims. The company that are engaging my company to go to Belgium have just sent a LOT of paperwork about working in Belgium and I'm now worried that there are serious tax implications and costs associated with working in Belgium. I fly out Sunday and am desperately going through all the documentation from my Client but in the interim has anyone any advice/guidance or experience of working in Belgium?

Hi Lorz,

It has more to do with PRSI, you need a declaration that you will continue to pay PRSI in this country10.75 % as its up to 40% in belgium AFAIK! you need this from revenue its form A-1, if you're accountant doesnt know about it then you should get advice, PM me for a recommedation.

The Revenue allow Civil Service rates for overseas travel and subsistence. Take a look at Employees' Subsistence Expenses - IT54 where it states how long the rates can be paid for. If Revenue are "clamping down" on such allowances it is the abuse that they will hit and not allowances paid in accordance with their own guidelines.

I agree with above PRSI comments on "posted workers". No point in paying social insurance outside of Ireland.

Back