Tax evasion - Anyone know how much collected

Jane

Just wondering if anyone has rough figures on how much money the government has collected over the years due to tax evasion ??

Hi Jane

Revenue are obliged every 3 months to publish a list of tax defaulters - tax evaders. The list includes the taxpayer name address, the tax head evaded, the amount collected including interest and penalties and how is was uncovered such as a routine revenue audit or a special investigation such as the single premium investigation etc...
The list for the qtr ending Sept-06 was only recently published on the revenue website and in the Irish times, it should be still up on the site along with the historical lists.

Unfortunately the list is somewhat limited in that it only identifies cases were the tax evaded was more than 30K and the taxpayer did not co-operate with the revenue officer.

Last edited:
Unfortunately the list is somewhat limited in that it only identifies cases were the tax evaded was more than 30K and the taxpayer co-operated with the revenue officer.
Isn't the list quite the opposite, insofar as it names those taxpayers who did NOT co-operate with Revenue. Where the taxpayer makes a voluntary settlement, I'm pretty sure they don't appear on the list.

Jane - Maybe you should put a query into the Revenue press office after the break?

Unfortunately the list is somewhat limited in that it only identifies cases were the tax evaded was more than 30K and the taxpayer co-operated with the revenue officer.

The limit for publication used to be €12,700. when did it go up to 30k?

Last edited:
Isn't the list quite the opposite, insofar as it names those taxpayers who did NOT co-operate with Revenue. Where the taxpayer makes a voluntary settlement, I'm pretty sure they don't appear on the list.

Jane - Maybe you should put a query into the Revenue press office after the break?

Yeah just a typo - I meant to say did not co-operate with Revenue

Thanks all, I might put the query into them. Am just interested to know.

Is [broken link removed] any use?? It's more about the specific investigations launched as opposed to general tax evasion.

Back