Tax entitlements to person who works based from home and doesn't have an office

cathal79

Hi,
I work in sales and don't have an actual office that I can go to on a daily basis and sit down to do work. It is a retail company so all I can do is use some office space in one of our stores if there is one available.

Does anyone know if I am entitled to claim for anything such as light and heat expenses at home or any other entitlements?

With the income levies killing me I'm exploring all possible avenues to get something back.

Thanks a million.

Hi since you work at home then you are entitle to claim back certain expenses like light & heat, telephone cost, etc

you have to be carefull and just claim back the portportion that you use and not go overboard with it and also to keep a record of them

final point to note is ppr relief which may affect you if you sell you house

If you are an employee, AFAIK you can claim €3.20 tax free (may be subject to tax levy) per day for light & heat. You can also claim a portion of your telephone / broadband if applicable.

Thanks for the advice.

One more question, do I claim this through revenue or through my employer?

Also what does AFAIK mean?

I just now downloaded a leaflet from ISME about employees expenses.

Looking at it, you do not qualify for flat-rate allowances, but probably do for all your expenses in the course of your working day (fuel, meals etc.).

Back