Tax deduction treatment refurb work and replacement furniture

Nerak14

Hi

I’ve been letting apt for past 12 years, tax returns up to date and claimed cap allowances on furniture and fittings in first 8 yrs.
In 2019 I replaced beds, sofas and radiators, do I start 8 yr cycle of cap allowances for these or do I not get any deduction?

Secondly I gutted and replaced en suite bathroom, i thought these costs would be added to capital value to reduce gain on sale when I ultimately sell the property but I’ve seen some advice in the papers on a similar scenario stating this expenditure would be claimed in 2019 tax return - which is it?

Thanks

In 2019 I replaced beds, sofas and radiators, do I start 8 yr cycle of cap allowances for these or do I not get any deduction?
You could certainly claim capital allowances on the beds and sofas over the next eight years.

I suspect the replacement radiators constitute a repair that can be deducted in full in calculating your rental profit for 2019.
Secondly I gutted and replaced en suite bathroom, i thought these costs would be added to capital value to reduce gain on sale when I ultimately sell the property
I think you're right.

However, others disagree...

For info - I put the question on the replacement en-suite to revenue and they confirmed that it should deducted as expense in the tax yr incurred

Back