Tax deductable expenses

priscilla

Hi,

Can I off set insulation and ventillation costs, possibly the installation of a ventillation unit to combat dampness in my rented out property against my tax due?

Is fencing costs also allowable against my tax?

Many thanks
Priscilla

What would the new unit cost, it would probably be considered as a capital expense, so would the fencing but you might get away with it as an expense if you say it is repairs to an existing fence.

Probably cost several thousand, I'll have a better idea once I get to chat to the company. So it would be considered capital expense even though it is being installed to combat damp?
Would the existing receipt from my fencer saying "fencing" be sufficient do you think?

The ventilation unit sounds like capital to me, so 12.5% each year for 8 years. If the fence is a repair then thats a stright off expense. As long as your receipt says fencing, date etc I don't see the issue.

What is causing the damp. Who suggested the ventilation unit as that sounds like a sticking plaster to me.

There wasn't any damp issues until the last couple of years but there used to be only one person living in the house and now there are six. There's a lot of condensation on the windows in the morning. The bedrooms have a sink in them and often towels are thrown on the radiators.
The advice here seems to suggest my problem is ventillation. I am hoping to improve my insulation and this will probably even increase the problem. I have purchased a demudifier as a short term remedy but would prefer to have a long term solution.
Ideally an independant ventillation survey seems to be required but I am having difficulty finding one.
So I thought I would engage with Western Insulation which are approved by the SEAI. They provide insulation and ventillation.

I would be interested in hearing how you get on with the ventillation problem as I have something similar in my kitchen. Something called a Drimaster unit was recommended but I don't know too much about it. Re tax it would be considered capital and written off over the 8 years as above.

Back