tax credits

wirelessdude

just wondering can anyone answer this for me...was unemployed for nearly 4 months...was receiving unemployment benefits during this time....now back at work nearly 2 months....should i get a refund for my tax credits during that 4 month period or do i lose them due to have been getting the dole?

Hi,

No you won't get a refund, your tax credits start from the date you started work, or the date you officially signed off the dole.

Last edited by a moderator:
that doesn't follow from my previous experience...when i went back to work after the year in australia i was able to get a rebate for my tax credits for the months that i was out of the country

well it would probably be best to contact the tax credits people or go online to check the information out.

You don't lose your credits while unemployed - you could in fact have looked for an ongoing tax refund while you were unemployed. See here for the info
[broken link removed]

You can look for a balancing statement (P21) for the year when you get your P60 to make sure it is all sorted out correctly.

Before you get carried away with refunds etc. the majority of your Unemployment Benefit is taxable. I think there's roughly 13 euro per week that is exempt but the balancing amount is taxable. This figure is sent by the SW to the Tax Office so depending on what your weekly Tax Credit figure is you may just have broken even, alternatively the Tax Office have already taken this into Account and have adjusted your Current Tax Credit accordingly for you for the Current Year, you should be able to check this on your payslip.

anyone in the know have an idea when new employee tax credit information will be sent to employers?

Back