Tax Credits when married

squareone

Folks, we've just gotten married - hoping this is the right place to ask re credit allocation etc as finding the Revenue site slightly confusing.

Total incomes: partner - 39k, myself - 98k. No kids. No additional incomes.

Am I correct in thinking that Joint Assessment, with tax credits split evenly is the best bet for us?

Thanks in advance

Folks, we've just gotten married - hoping this is the right place to ask re credit allocation etc as finding the Revenue site slightly confusing.

Total incomes: partner - 39k, myself - 98k. No kids. No additional incomes.

Am I correct in thinking that Joint Assessment, with tax credits split evenly is the best bet for us?

Thanks in advance
That's fine. There's no taxable benefit to your currently and you'll continue to be taxed as normal. The benefit of joint assessment comes when one spouse has unused rate band and/credits to transfer to the other.

As above, tax credits can be shared evenly and for 2022 standard rate bands also.

For 2023, if the incomes remain the same, you can take the €1000 of your spouse's SRCOP which s/he won't be using. See my 'Allocate standard rate band' spreadhseet at https://taxcalc.eu/monthlyss/ for more

It's important to notify Revenue of same which I understand you can do through my account and then also you may already be aware of this but you can then apply for a year of marriage review for 2022 after the year ends.

Back