Tax credits for co-habiting couples

Q

Quinners

Hi. Could some clarify the position regarding co-habiting couples in relation to tax affairs. My partner (who does not work) and I have 3 kids. I am the sole provider for the household. My partner does not claim any tax or social welfare allowances/benefits. Up until recently I was in receipt of One-Parent Family allowance in respect of maintenance payments for a previous relationship. At the start of the new tax year, this allowance was removed from my tax credits. Is it correct that eventhough I am still paying child support that my allowance has been removed because I am co-habiting with my partner????

Also, can the breadwinner from a unmarried couple claim tax credits in respect of his partner and kids.

Thanks..

Quinners said:
... my allowance has been removed because I am co-habiting with my partner????..

Yes. The one parent tax credit is not available to couples living as husband/wife see section entitled 'how so I qualify' here [broken link removed]

Quinners said:
...Also, can the breadwinner from a unmarried couple claim tax credits in respect of his partner and kids.

Thanks..

No.

Back