tax credits due to husband terminally ill

suemoo

Hi, crap reason to have to post this but am looking for some advice. Recently we have been told my husband is terminally sick with Cancer. I currently work part-time and am
Still able to do so for the moment. He is expected to live for about 3 years. We also have two Young children. His wages will go down to approx a third this month as he is a civil servant and as he was sick for nearly a year a couple of years ago with Cancer the new sick pay rules mean he is straight on to the lower wages now. Questions I have are an I able to claim home carers allowance even though I work part time? Also we will transfer his credits over to me but we are trying to figure out how to max the amount of income coming into the house. Any advice would be welcome. I work 33 hrs a week and earn a wage of 50k. Not sure how long I will be able to stay in work but for the moment it's ok for me to work as he can still look after himself no problem. Any advice welcome! Moo

Hi Moo,

I am very sorry that you are in this terrible situation.

Could you give an approximation of what your husband's gross income will be for 2015?

Very sorry to hear your situation Moo.

Make sure any life insurance he has is paid.

Despite the awful situation you must try and hold onto your job as you will need the income.

I realise it's difficult but maybe you need to do a money makeover to get a fuller picture of what you should be doing.

Best of luck.

Back