Tax credit on student relief

jasdpace@gmail.

I understand that where parents pay the rent, they can claim the tax credit.

Does this apply to students in "Rent-a-room" arrangements, i.e. where the accommodation owner is not obliged to register with the RTB?

There is a 20% tax credit available for tuition fees paid for third level education but my understanding is that this doesn't include accommodation costs. It's for things like the student contribution and tuition fees (if any are paid). There are specific exclusions as to what qualifies (e.g. capitation fees don't qualify).

The amount of the tax credit claimable depends on the qualifying total paid (capped at €7,000 per student per course) and whether the course is a full-time or part time one (there's a deduction from the qualifying total paid of either €1500 if the student is on a part-time course or €3000 if on a full time course).

Details of the relief are available here:

Sorry about the silly title - it should have read " Tax credit on student rent". The question remains......

Does this apply to students in "Rent-a-room" arrangements, i.e. where the accommodation owner is not obliged to register with the RTB?

How would I do that at this stage?! At some stage, any chance we can move on from the fact that the title was wrong;) :D ??

Sorry about the silly title - it should have read " Tax credit on student rent". The question remains......

The full details of the relief haven't been published yet and the relief isn't available to claim yet so we will have to wait.

Thanks Relax.........well, at least, it's a "relief" to finally have my question addressed! I know a lot of this was due to a typo on my part but still......

Back