Tax Clearance Rescinded

Has anyone ever received an email from Revenue advising that their tax clearance has been rescinded with the reason "tax clearance expired"? What does this mean?

I've had a tax clearance cert for 5 years now.You don't have to renew it.
Are all your returns up to date?

Overview​

If you apply for a Tax Clearance Certificate and it is not issued it is either ‘under review’ or has been refused.

If your tax affairs or those of your connected persons are not in order, Revenue may withdraw your Tax Clearance Certificate. Revenue will also withdraw your Tax Clearance Certificate when your application expires.

Your application for a Tax Clearance Certificate will expire after one year in the case of a grant application and within four years for all other applications.

Yeah I got that notification as my TCC expired after 4 years. I applied on ROS for a new one and it was immediately issued (seems to be fully automated).

I've had a tax clearance cert for 5 years now.You don't have to renew it.
Are all your returns up to date?
Yes, everything is up-to-date. I've never had it expire before but the reason given by Revenue just seems to be expiration rather than there being any issue - I also thought you didn't have to renew it. I'm waiting to hear back from my accountant but I can just click "Re-apply", so that might fix it.

Received notification this morning aswell. Previously it rolled over unless there was an issue with your tax affairs from memory

Received notification this morning aswell. Previously it rolled over unless there was an issue with your tax affairs from memory
I believe it did too. This is the first time mine has expired. I first applied for it around 2010 IIRC. Certainly much more than 4 years ago anyway.

Ah grand, that makes sense, I can just hit re-apply so. I'll tell ya one thing, it is a bit jarring to get the email at a time when a potential client is checking your tax clearance!

i have a message in my ROS saying tax clearance rescinded but i can't open it because i'm using microsoft edge browser, is it anything to worry about?
registered with ROS since about 2013 and it was never rescinded before, not that i can remember anyway.

I got that email that my tax certificate was rescinded. Checked online and looked to be expired. Have seen the mentioned reapply but I havent got a clue what heading im to apply for it under.

Ive never had to renew it before as far as I remember. Just got a email to say it was online. Even checked and in documents it was issued in December and its still there.

Any suggestions?

I got that email that my tax certificate was rescinded. Checked online and looked to be expired. Have seen the mentioned reapply but I havent got a clue what heading im to apply for it under.

Ive never had to renew it before as far as I remember. Just got a email to say it was online. Even checked and in documents it was issued in December and its still there.

Any suggestions?
Why do you need it?

i have a message in my ROS saying tax clearance rescinded but i can't open it because i'm using microsoft edge browser, is it anything to worry about?
registered with ROS since about 2013 and it was never rescinded before, not that i can remember anyway.
If you are receiving any income for services that you have to pay tax yourself on then the supplier can withhold payment as you are not tax compliant.

OK so, my accountant logged in yesterday and clicked re-apply and a new cert was automatically issued, so much ado about nothing. You'd think they'd have let people know they were doing this! Based on the comments here it seems to have been widespread. I'm self-employed about a decade and never had a cert expire.

Businesses verify tax clearance for all sorts of reasons. It's very important if you're working in any sort of professional services.
Yeah but you have to give a particular reason when you request a TCC. The person I quoted doesn't know which one to pick, hence my question about what exactly they need the TCC for. I was hoping the answer could help. I needed it in the past because I had hap tenants, which would be "government contract" for example.

Yeah but you have to give a particular reason when you request a TCC. The person I quoted doesn't know which one to pick, hence my question about what exactly they need the TCC for. I was hoping the answer could help. I needed it in the past because I had hap tenants, which would be "government contract" for example.
That's exactly it. I didn't know which tab to check. I don't remember ever doing it before. I selected that I needed it for a financial institution and they issued it instantly.

Back