Tax Clearance Cert Request by council

dow jones

I own a restaurant and recently had a table of 12 people from the county council. Their bill came to e358 which was invoiced and sent. The council wrote back requesting a tax clearance cert before they would make payment. I found it odd and I could be practical and get one but then why should I be put to this extra work. Does anyone know if it's in the councils right to request a tax cert for such s small amount? Thanks for any help

My understanding of it is that the amount has to be €10,000 or more in a twelve month period before they are entitled to demand it. It seems very petty of them. I had a situation where a Co. Co. was looking for a a Tax clearance cert for a sum under €10k and I emailed them outlining my views and they replied that it was policy. I got paid without submitting the TLC. I was tax compliant. I am not suggesting that you go the same route. Just outlining my understanding of the law.

Make sure you're not in rates arrears,because the council can set off your bill against overdue rates.
I asked a family member,who works in this area,and can confirm Dermot's answer about the 10k

Back