Tax Back

superman1979

Hey guys this a quick general question..

I was talking to someone the other night and they were asking me do i ever claim my tax back, i wouldn't have a clue about these thing but said that i should. Reckoned that i should be owed back money cause i have never claimed back anything and have never used my PRSI either, told me it goes back 5 years and im prob intitled to some back..

Just wondering is this true?

Any help be great..

You will only be entitled to tax back if you have overpaid. You will only have overpaid if there are either (a) errors in your present coding of tax credits/cut-off point or (b) if you have items which would have been tax deductible but were not claimed (e.g. medical expenses/refuse charges ) or (c) some other change of employment or circumstances which might result in deductions not being what they should.

You can go back 4 years in addition to the current year, so thats 2004,2005,2006 & 2007. If you think there might be such situations you can file returns online or on paper or contact Revenue at the number on your tax credit certificate.

You only use PRSI if unemployed, on disability or in certain cases such as allowance for dental work etc. If you have not had any such circumstances then there is no PRSI claim due.

There is always a possibility that you may have underpaid tax, in which case the Revenue will ask you to refund them the shortfall if you reopen the matter now.

Back