tax back on dental treatment abroad

I claimed for laser eye surgery which was done in the UK in 2004. No problems. Haven't heard of anyone who claimed for dental treatment aboard but I would be surprised if it was one rule for medical and another for dental.

Hi,
if you go to Budapest (Hungary) which is now part of the EU you can claim your treatment back against tax. THe Dentist over there will even fill in the form for you

In Ireland claiming off the MED2 form is very restrictive for what you can claim, you cannot claim for routine dental treament. So why would it be allowed abroad?

Hi, crowns, veneers, implants I understand are not consider 'routine' so therefore their treatment can be claimed.
With regards routine fillings etc. you wouldn't save on them, you might as well get routine stuff done in Ireland.

Our accredited British dental clinic abroad in Piestany Spa, Slovakia can fill in the forms for you. The website is www.dentalholiday.co.uk. We are a UK patient only clinic and are EU registered.

If anyone wants details of the Budapest Practice that has an Irish Clinic for Irish patients, let me know and I will pass them on

Hi folks, as requested to arrange a consultation you can contact the practice manager on 0036 203 284 940

The relevant EU law is EU Reg 1408/71. Under the rules that govern patient mobility - the European Court of Justice has ruled that every citizen has the right to go and receive treatment like dental, opthalomogy etc. and other outpatient ambulatory services in other EU member states and be reimbursed for the same in accordance with those laid down by national laws. If for instance its for treatment that would come under Treatment benefit - you are entitled to the same level of refund to the costs that it would have been if it was provided in Ireland. The DSFA is the one that you submit the claim for a refund to.

with the recent EU directive on healthcare abroad, you can certainly go abroad for your dental treatment and claim tax back. I run a UK dental clinic in Slovakia called "Dental Holiday" and have from time to time filled out tax claim forms for most Irish patients and some from Italy, but haven't seen similar forms from my English patients as yet.

Back