Tax Back on Back Payment of Salary

I spoke to someone in Revenue today and they were of the opinion that the income should be taxed in the year that it was earned.

My wife job shared for a few years and would not have used her full tax credits for some of the years affected.

The arrears were paid in a year where she is working full time and as a result she is paying maximum tax on the arrears. If it was paid in a year where she was job sharing or on a career break the tax liability would be considerably less.

What's with the ridiculous funny face?

The OP mentioned that he/she suffered tax of circa €3k in the relevant payslip. That's circa €6k/€7k of extra income in any man's language.

If the other half comes through, it'll be the same story.

It's also unclear whether the €3k of tax was on the extra income or the OP's total income that month!

Given the numbers involved, the idea of engaging a tax professional and undertaking some form of grand exercise could be utterly ridiculous.
The funny face is apparently the new confused smiley - I preferred the old one...

I hadn't spotted OP's post referring to the amount. Definitely not worth the hassle in that case.

May well be worth it in the case of Páid's wife.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've decided to take advice on it from a tax advisor/accountant. Someone that can help with reducing our tax liability before the end of the year. Can anyone here offer a recommendation for someone in the Dublin area ? PM me details please.

Back