Taste of Dublin/The Big Grill

Purple

Has anyone been and what does the food cost?
I'm thinking of bringing the kids on Sunday but if the food is very expensive I won't bother as the greedy little ...people... have expensive tastes.

I think you should be able to see all the menus and their prices here:
[broken link removed]

1 florin = 1 euro, and you're looking at 6-7 florins for a 'taster' portion... basically a small starter.
I've been a few times through company social club but wouldn't be paying those prices myself independently.

The Big Grill in Herbert Park in August is much better value. Tickets are cheaper and for 8-10 tokens\euros you can get a proper amount of grub.

We go with work and TBH I wouldnt go otherwise. Expensive enough at about E7 per portion.

I don't honestly see the attraction - you pay admission then again for each food sample. When you add it up it's c. 40 euro minimum per person and you haven't even had a proper meal! Save it and go to one of the restaurants featured and enjoy in comfort !

The Big Grill in Herbert Park in August is much better value. Tickets are cheaper and for 8-10 tokens\euros you can get a proper amount of grub.

Hi odyssey

I was given a pair of tickets for this last night. €27 each, so I expected free food and drink, but got none.

The only free sample I was offered was some unappetising looking relish on a Ritz cracker which I declined.

The only "entertainment" was a pepper or chilli eating competition.

But the atmosphere was good with the nice weather and people drinking. We didn't bother eating as we didn't fancy eating from paper plates on the ground. So I don't know what the food was like.

Brendan

Hi odyssey

I was given a pair of tickets for this last night. €27 each, so I expected free food and drink, but got none.

The only free sample I was offered was some unappetising looking relish on a Ritz cracker which I declined.

The only "entertainment" was a pepper or chilli eating competition.

But the atmosphere was good with the nice weather and people drinking. We didn't bother eating as we didn't fancy eating from paper plates on the ground. So I don't know what the food was like.

Brendan
Odyssey's post was from 5 years ago so no wonder the food was gone Brendan :p

I understand it is now being run by a different company. Ticket prices jacked up.
My company hasnt restarted social events since covid and I wouldnt be paying those prices on my own bat.

Last time out portions were more substantial than at Taste of Dublin.

Herbert park in weather like this woud be lovely.

My tactic at these events is to find a quiet beer or whiskey stand. Sample a few and then buy one. At least that worked last time.

I wouldnt be paying those prices on my own bat.

If I get free tickets again, I will give you a shout.

My tactic at these events is to find a quiet beer or whiskey stand. Sample a few and then buy one.

We queued up and bought Ashahi beer which I hadn't tried before. It was great, so I stuck with it. There may have been free samples elsewhere, but it wasn't obvious to me.

Brendan

€54 plus fees and tax just to get in the door (so to speak), Nah I'll pass on that!!!

Last Thursday Mrs C, myself and an old friend went down to Sandycove
Brought the picnic rug, a few cushions and a few drinks
Ordered three meals from the Fish Shack restaurant and ate them while watching all the goings on in and around Scotsman's Bay
Towards the end of the night we walked up to Teddys for a yummy 99 ice cream

All in for the three of us was just under €50 for a very enjoyable night
The only slight disappointment was waiting 50 minutes for the food but it was worth the wait

If I get free tickets again, I will give you a shout.

We queued up and bought Ashahi beer which I hadn't tried before. It was great, so I stuck with it. There may have been free samples elsewhere, but it wasn't obvious to me.

Brendan
Asahi is great with food. It’s quite dry and doesn’t fill you up. From memory, when these things started they were good in that you got coins (Florins?) as part of your admission so could get a number of “free” things. Now it seems like a racket.

you got coins (Florins?)

Apparently, you had to buy "smokins" in previous years.
You paid real cash for them.
But if you did not spend it all, you couldn't get the balance refunded.

I understand that this year they were all taking credit cards but not cash. Although there was a hut selling smokins.

Brendan

They probably still have the tokens for group \ corporate clients. With my company you would get entry ticket and X smokies \ florins \ etc to spend.

So basically €54 for two people to walk around an open air food court, I'm amazed these things are still going!
I wonder if the organizers simply wanted to attract footfall by giving away the tickets for free. Like with some gym chains whose "joining fee" gets waved for virtually every new member.

I wonder if the organizers simply wanted to attract footfall by giving away the tickets for free.

Ah, that is probably it.

If I had been given two free tickets which would have cost only €5 each, I probably wouldn't have gone.

But as they were €27, I thought it must be worth going to.

But there did seem to be two separate lanes and most people were in the other queue.

Brendan

They also had an "exclusive" area for which the ticket was even more expensive

They had a fast-track entrance, but the two lanes I saw seemed to more or less instant.

Brendan

Same company still running big grill. It was a concept created by Andy Noonan and he still runs it. He also has the Baste bbq restaurant (currently looking for a new location).

Tickets on the day were €26.62 (incl fee), but much cheaper bought in advance and children went free. Plenty of freebies via sponsors and a couple of other ways .

Payment was all contactless, but if you wanted to use cash you bought a prepaid "smokins" card.

Think of it as a food version of ideal homes show. Plenty of music, food demos and other entertainment.

A family of 2 adults and 3 kids and tickets bought in advance, you'd probably spend €100-€120 including food.

I went today I won’t bother again poor value for the entrance fee and the food offerings were average.

Back