Tambour Door

CPAMG

I'm thinking about replacing the bathroom door in my apartment.

At the moment it's got a standard in-swinging hinged door which I feel intrudes into the bathroom space. (It's a relatively small bathroom).

Swapping the hinges to make the door out-swinging isn't really an option as it would then intrude on the (tiny!) hallwall space.

I've been thinking about possible alternatives and I thought a sliding door of some sort may be a good solution. I've noticed these doors at work on the storage cabinets. They run on a rail, are flexible and wrap neatly in the corner when open. I think these are called Side Opening Tambour Doors.

Has anyone experience of these doors for domestic use?

Any further information or comments on Tambour doors, such as suppliers, possible alternatives, etc greatly appreciated.

Hi,

I'm not 100% sure but I think I've seen a wood effect sliding door in B&Q. I hope the quality is better than the ones on the filing cabinets as they are generally troublesome.

For what it's worth - the convention with doors seems to be to hang them so that opening them into a room closes the room off (if you get me) and this normally wastes more space than hanging them unconventionally on the other side. We had most of the doors in our house hung the latter way by the builder (at no extra cost amazingly but this was 1995!) to avoid this problem.

Back