Taking leave when child is born

McD1978

Hi All,

My wife and I are expecting our first child later this year and while I am aware that there is no paternity leave in ROI I have informed my boss of my intention to take 2 weeks holidays when the baby is born. Obviously I couldn't give the exact dates I'll be taking as holidays but I've given them at least 5 months notice of the approximate time. The problem is my boss has a reputation for making things awkward when people wish to take holidays. I'm trying to avoid any hassle by giving her a "heads up" well in advance but when the time comes, I'll be with my wife and thats that. If the boss decides to play awkward, can I just get a sick cert from my doc that'll cover me for the time I wish to take off? Taking unpaid leave wouldn't be an issue for me. Any advice welcome. Thanks.

First of all - congrads ...

Just re the time off, just make sure you have a paper trail of everything. I don't know your jobs way of recording vacation, whether it's done officially / unofficially etc, but make sure you send an email to your boss, with the holidays that you are planning to take, with details that the dates will possibly move - all depending on the actual birth date. Ask her in the email if that is alright from her perspective & you should also indicate that any work you are due to be doing at that time will be covered by others within the team or can wait until you get back (again depends on your type of work & your internal job workings). Keep communication open between yourself & your boss in planning work for around the time - more proactive you are, then less for her to give out about.

There shouldn't be an issue with you taking time off at that stage - especially giving so much notice... so don't worry about it, enjoy the build up to the big day.

Thanks Jazz. Have been doing all you suggest, as well as getting a cover plan in place. Others within my workplace have done similar though but have still found hassle when holidays arrive.

Thanks Huskerdu,

It's a big enough company yeah and I would go to HR but they are a bit lax too, tending always to side with department managers. With regard to the sick note plan - I have no problem lying to the boss in this instance nor do I have a problem with her knowing it! Would me having a valid doctors note not cover me anyway?

The sick note would cover you so to speak, assuming your GP gives you one, but I understand that you don't have an issue with your boss knowing that you aren't "sick" for that period of time, but it may lead to bad feelings from her side once you are back. She doesn't seem the most people friendly person, so may hold a grudge.

I would keep everything above board, cover yourself with as much (written) notification as possible of moving dates, work back ups in place etc & record the info. Keep it official & there really isn't much she can do - she might throw a wobbler into things, but try to rise above it & offer alternatives... Seems madness that she would be like this...

Understand your worry on this, but this is a momentous occasion in both of your lives (your wife & your lives - not you & your bosses :) ) - things will sort themselves out...

Just take the time off as you said you would. Your boss would be very stupid to make an issue of it.
I don’t understand the mind-set of people who treat their staff like this.

The law is on your side here.

An employee who has worked for at least 8 months is entitled to an unbroken period of 2 weeks' annual leave.

I wouldn't advise going down the sick leave route, it may bite you in the future.

Just take the time off as you said you would. Your boss would be very stupid to make an issue of it.
I don’t understand the mind-set of people who treat their staff like this.

+1 I have a husband and wife team with me last 4yrs expecting their 1st child in June, not best time in the world for me business wise but some things are more important in life, take your time off, stand up for yourself, some people take the little bit of power there are given way too seriously in my opinion

With regard to the sick note plan - I have no problem lying to the boss in this instance nor do I have a problem with her knowing it! Would me having a valid doctors note not cover me anyway?

Does your GP routinely sign sick notes for people who aren't sick?

Back