Taking a baby on holiday

Hi,

Can you please advise how we would make up formula for Baby (2 months old) in an apartment in spain or the likes ? We were told that one can't use bottled mineral water so how do we get sterilised water - boil tap water for 10 mins ?? Any recommendations would be appreciated.

I might be missing something here but I don't think a steriliser will give water to make up formula! As far as I know, you CAN use certain bottled water- such as Evian- you will see a symbol of a babies head surrounded by stars on the water that you can use- to make up formula. I know that certainly in France they use Evian to make up bottles for babies. I think there is another symbol as well - a bottle nipple. If you're still worried just used cooled boiled bottled water. You can ring the careline of the company that makes the formula that you use- it will be on the formula tin, and they will advise further- I think there is a minimum sodium level to watch out for in bottled water. The easiest thing of all is to take the ready made formula with you- no issues then.

Thanks Vanilla. Ready made is something we thought of alright, the airline will probably have a field day with us on the weight of it though !!!!!!

Yes, the weight will be an issue, but it is SO handy- maybe try bringing it in your hand luggage- or part of it- after all you'll be coming home without it!

Hi Swoon0
I know it can be a bit daunting ... the prospect of bringing a wee one on holidays but they have babies in Spain too ... and you will probably discover when you get there that they stock the formula you need in the local supermarket ... in made up form or powder. I would go with the boiled water option. I would suggest making up all the bottles in the morning and storing them in the fridge ... saves waiting on the kettle to cool down all the time. Another thing we did with our firstborn was to buy a travel steriliser pack in mothercare .. it consisted of a set of strong drawstring bags that you filled to a mark with water and then dropped in a steriliser tablet. We we're so fussy with number 2 ... we stopped sterilising after 6 weeks ... just scrubbed everything well ... with no ill effects. Enjoy your hols.

Sorry I missed the point above. Is it not sufficient to use cooled boiled water abroad in the same way as would be done at home? That's what we did anyhow.

Henny Penny said:
We we're so fussy with number 2 ... we stopped sterilising after 6 weeks ... just scrubbed everything well ... with no ill effects.
I understand that in the USA, they don't really use sterilisers for babies bottles at all - they generally just run them through the dishwasher.

Hi,
Vanilla I took your advice and called the helpline on the formula pack - Milupa. They advised using bottled water is fine but to check the sodium content - should be as low as possible below 20mg/litre, and it should be boiled to sterilise it then.

Ubiquitous - Have you tried drinking tap water straight from the tap in Spain etc ? You'd be on the bog for days !!! Hence no good to use for little babies.

Thanks all

Hi Swoon

If that is the case, and not meaning to be smart in any way, if I were in your shoes, I would seriously consider some other destination for the family holiday.

hi swoon, i certainly wouldnt change destinations! Buy the bottled water with the baby danone symobol, its a babes head with stars, or the bottle nipple. Water with either of these symbols inidicate the mineral content is fine for infants. To bring readymade is very very heavy. Boild the bottled water if you want, but no need. Two tins of powder formula, with a few readymde cartons is plenty for a fornight hols. Spain is a loveley place to bring a baby, have done it several times myself. Just a tip, check before you go that a kettle is provede in your accomadation, not all of them have one. Youcan request it, or just bring one with you. Our fist year with an infant we had to buy one. No major hassle, but try finding one on your first night when everyone is knackered!! This is hwen the readymade comes in very hand. And keep a few cartons for the trip home. You never know when you could be delayed in the airport. HTH

Light weight strollers may not be the best if it sunny and hot, heavier buggy usually has good hood although mmclo jnr. takes great pleasure in pushing it back whenever it is put up. Ususally you bring the buggy right up to the plane and it's stored and can be collected when getting off before baggage reclaim

p.s. I've heard some very bad reports about Cabanas in the Alagarve (which somebody recommedned) we were due to go there three years ago but there was a fire and we got put in a fab hotel in nearby Tavira, droped in to Cabanas and it looked awful. Generally the eastern algarve is great, in fact we're goin on sunday!!

Thanks Reddy, I have no intention of changing destination, rather taking some precautions that yourself and other kind users have offered !

Just got the new passports during the week, 3 weeks to go before we head off for Sa Caleta, Menorca. Anyone got any ideas where we should go for a nice meal on the first day?

Check out
You can choose from the dropdown Menorca Sa Caleta, heading there myself in 2 weeks, looks good from reviews

Hi all!
We're heading off this day week/ next week (sorry Priscilla!) and I'm still in a quandry about the buggy, seeing as Argos won't live up to their catalogue and stock the light stroller I want to buy. Should I buy a light stroller or bring the M&P one? Decisions, decisions? Also I was thinking would it be a good idea to bring an umbrella (wait for it) to shade baby from the sun whilst on the beach. I've often done this here with a golf brolly and it works a treat, at least while she's at the pre-crawl stage. Any thoughts?

Hi Carpenter,

I know it goes against the grain on the Argos Extra issue but can you not order the buggy in? I think you'll regret bringing the heavier one along.

Is the umbrella for the buggy not a lot smaller/lighter than the golf one - I know the one I used to use was?

No, I'm not going to reward misinformation by Argos with my custom, I'm actually going to drive 30 miles out of my way tomorrow to visit the shop where I bought the buggy, i'll see what they have as regards a parasol while I'm there!

I actually picked up a "Chicco Caddy" stroller today, with sun shade for only €49 so am well pleased, who need's Argos?

Back