Takeaway Coffee

mathepac

I see Nescafe are advertising their Al Jezzerah coffee to make and drink at home, including the cardboard cups and plastic lids. You can also now take it on the bus with you, drink it on your bike or in your car.

Is this the take-away convenience food taken to the extreme or is it just getting too close to Christmas for me? (100 days as of today!)

While some coffee machines are on fuel station forecourts anything else is less wasteful.

While some coffee machines are on fuel station forecourts anything else is less wasteful.
You need to know that the indo will sensationalise anything and everything and so will programmes like that on rte - without sensationalism they are utterly boring.

Take the €1m figure. Divide by 2.70 gives about 370,000 cups - more than 1,000 a day.

Take 16 hours of operation - that's a cup every minute of every hour, every day.

Pure sensationalism.

As for nescafe's "takeaway at home" coffee - just can't see it working.

Tis far from FANCY COFFEE ye were reared !! (just giving the rural curmudgeon perspective on things ;))

Tis far from FANCY COFFEE ye were reared !! (just giving the rural curmudgeon perspective on things ;))

And Nescafe Azera in the massively wasteful single serving cups or otherwise is far from fancy coffee, even if they do work out around €1.65 for a shot of instant coffee and a cup :D

As a company they seem as intent on feeding landfill as they are people.

My own favourite fancy coffee is Kopi Luwak.

"Kopi luwak (Indonesian pronunciation: [ˈkopi ˈlu.aʔ]), or civet coffee, refers to the coffee that includes part-digested coffee cherries eaten and defecated by the Asian palm civet (Paradoxurus hermaphroditus).[1]

The civet eats the cherries for the fleshy pulp, then in the digestive tract, fermentation occurs. Passing through a civet's intestines the cherries are then defecated with other fecal matter and collected."

Only €400 a kilo on Amazon.

My own favourite fancy coffee is Kopi Luwak.

"Kopi luwak (Indonesian pronunciation: [ˈkopi ˈlu.aʔ]), or civet coffee, refers to the coffee that includes part-digested coffee cherries eaten and defecated by the Asian palm civet (Paradoxurus hermaphroditus).[1]

The civet eats the cherries for the fleshy pulp, then in the digestive tract, fermentation occurs. Passing through a civet's intestines the cherries are then defecated with other fecal matter and collected."

Only €400 a kilo on Amazon.
Yea, but it's well worth.

But Amazon don't try to sell you the civet and the tree he lives in as part of the deal!

I use an Aero Press. It makes a super coffee, but it's not ideal when making more than one cup (a french press would be better). Some day I will splash out on a decent grinder though.

I use an Aero Press. It makes a super coffee, but it's not ideal when making more than one cup (a french press would be better). Some day I will splash out on a decent grinder though.

Same here and agreed on the quality. I got the stainless steel filter also, saves messing with the paper filters and allows the oils through which allegedly make for better taste. I've never tested whether I could tell any difference though.

I use a stoke/hob top percolator espresso maker. Makes really nice coffee.
I've an Aero press as well and it's also very good.

I use a stoke/hob top percolator espresso maker. Makes really nice coffee.

I had one of those, an Italian job. It was very good until I left it on the hob one morning and forgot about it and nearly burnt the house down!

Same here and agreed on the quality. I got the stainless steel filter also, saves messing with the paper filters and allows the oils through which allegedly make for better taste. I've never tested whether I could tell any difference though.

Ditto - it works a treat and read all the reviews about the oils etc, but never tasted the difference!

I had one of those, an Italian job. It was very good until I left it on the hob one morning and forgot about it and nearly burnt the house down!
I bought mine for €12 in a shop in Spain. Drips a bit but does the job.

I should have saved my earlier comment for now, this has gone full Ross O'Carroll Kelly :). Reminds me of the sketch where the Love Hate actors are giving each other culinary tips before the cameras role and they go back to Nidge & Fran.....

Back