Take out coffees and overflowing litter bins.

Kimmagegirl

I have noticed multiple people walking the streets with their take out coffee fix because they cannot sit inside and enjoy their coffee as before. As a result many of our litter bins are overflowing to capacity. It doesn't help that Magpies and Jackdaws are pulling these cups out on to the street in search of food.

The bins in Baggot Street last weekend had litter piled up on the ground beside them.

Is it not possible for the person in charge in the various Co. Council's to organise a few extra staff to have these bins emptied, especially at weekends? What does it take to wake these people up?

AFAIK those bring-your-own reusable coffee mugs are not acceptable anymore because of the pandemic.
There was a cafe in Dublin that only served take away coffee in those mugs, no disposable cups available. Not sure where they stand now.

I have noticed multiple people walking the streets with their take out coffee fix because they cannot sit inside and enjoy their coffee as before. As a result many of our litter bins are overflowing to capacity. It doesn't help that Magpies and Jackdaws are pulling these cups out on to the street in search of food.

The bins in Baggot Street last weekend had litter piled up on the ground beside them.

Is it not possible for the person in charge in the various Co. Council's to organise a few extra staff to have these bins emptied, especially at weekends? What does it take to wake these people up?
Picture a guy with a beard who start every sentence with "My members". That's why.

That’s funny. You’ve just given me the get up and go I need to face into today’s steducation.
(This is my portmanteau for Stay At Home Education).

The bus stops outside UCD Belfield are constantly overflowing with litter. Reason lots of students using buses every day. It has always amazed me why there never was an "extra" collection of litter at these points throughout the day. Same in heavily pedestrianised areas of Dun Laoghaire etc.

People are out walking more in their locality because of lockdown rules. It seems that those in charge have not factored this in.

And one last rant to those walking their dogs....Pick up your Dog Turds......(otherwise it will get all over The Selfish Joggers runners). :)

We've had littered streets for as long as I remember. Litter bins can become overloaded. We have too many irresponsible people who think everybody else should clean up litter. We need to do something fast. Litter bins are not the answer. I believe every one of them should be withdrawn and enact an enforceable law that will oblige everybody to take their own litter home for dumping there.

I live very close to a Motorway Service Station which has McDonalds and despite the many rubbish bins at the premises a lot of people do not use them. They would rather drive from the service station and throw the rubbish all over the roads not 100 yards away. So they obviously eat the food in the car park and then drive up the road and get rid of the rubbish on all of the roads around here. Some of them must take pleasure in getting as many tomato ketchup packets , full ones, as they can gather to litter the road with. There should without doubt be a way of tracing and fining the culprits.

I moved from Germany to Ireland and was astonished about the amount of litter here.
For me it looks like it is a "cultural" / educational thing and recycling etc should be taught at home and also at school if not already happened.

People went here to the streets to "protest" against climate change but the streets they were protesting in are littered. Perhaps best would be to start small and clean the streets, lakes and parks.

A shift in the mentality is needed.

Yes, it is a cultural thing.
The two biggest complaints of foreign tourists that come to Ireland are the prices and the litter.
There’s a letter in the Irish Times today about opening up Ireland to walkers and cyclists. As in, permitting them to walk on privately owned land.
As a landowner myself, though in an area that is unlikely to attract tourists, I would be completely opposed to this. Due to the litter.

I do not think it is either a cultural or educational thing it is just that some people are ignorant. I do not know this for sure but if I were to guess I would say that most of the people who dump the litter are not long out of education and would have been thought about climate change, green energy etc. That is just my opinion of course.

I do not think it is either a cultural or educational thing it is just that some people are ignorant. I do not know this for sure but if I were to guess I would say that most of the people who dump the litter are not long out of education and would have been thought about climate change, green energy etc. That is just my opinion of course.
I see people of all ages and walks of life littering.

I understand what you are saying but the drive through near where I live , where the litter is everywhere , I still think it is more than likely teens or twenty somethings who throw stuff from the window of their cars who are the main culprits.

In other countries the amount of young people who litter is smaller - if that is not educational nor cultural - what is it?

Germany has young people, so does Singapore - both are not as littered as Ireland.
And as I grew up in Germany I can definitely say the amount of litter was and is much less in Germany long before Green Energy, Global Warming etc was a topic.
And I see in Ireland enough people in all ages who litter not just teens. It is an attitude problem - people thinking "it's grand - someone else will clean up after me"

I caught a man in his fifties dropping off a few black bin bags of rubbish onto forestry lands a few years ago.
I contacted the council’s litter department and they said “nothing to do with us, not our lands”.
Coillte didn’t seem to have a litter department so I emailed them.
Photos of the rubbish, the man’s car registration and his description. I don’t know if anything was ever done about it.

Last edited:
And that is another reason why nothing will ever be done about because it is always "someone else,s problem". I would have thought they were the right people to contact. If it is not the litter department problem then who,s problem is it.
I live a few miles from the nearest town and we get together a group who will pick up the litter in our area, a few times a year, and you would not believe the types of rubbish that people dispose of. There are four roads that we look after including one section of the Carlow to Wexford road and we would easily fill a skip with the rubbish that we pick up.

A colleague who lives in Ballymun was picking up rubbish from outside his house. His neighbour came out and started shouting at him saying that he was "doing another man's job". It's really hard to understand that mindset.

And that IS the mindset of people. Some of my neighbours will help with our pick-up days but others will pass by saying what a great job we are doing. There would be about ten or twelve of us covering sections of four roads.

Back