Tain Court Apartments, Dundalk.

Northerngirl

Thinking of renting in this development or the nearby Riverview. Getting mixed advice about living on the north side of Dundalk - Is this an unsafe, dodgy area, particularly at night?? The other areas such as Lis Na Dara and Red Barns Rd seem to be more expensive but just wondering is this for a particular reason??

Are they beside the newry bridge/ Bridge Street ? If so avoid. A friend of mine owns one of them and has had problems with tenants and with scumbags getting into the private car park at nite. Lived in Dundalk all my life, locations to avoid renting would be Muirhevnamore, Castle Ross, Cox's Demense and Carrol Village. Hope this helps !

Thanks Milan, very helpful to know areas to avoid. My brother was looking at a new development in Saltown, Cois Anan or something like that - sorry dont speak Irish - Do you know anything of this area?

Why dont you try to rent in Athlethan, on the racecourse road, there is a two bed apartment for rent at the moment there, reason I know because there is a sign outside the apartment. The estate agents are Habitit...
I believe its a lovely estate to rent in - nice a quiet, a friend of mine lives there.... and she has never mentioned any trouble

Why dont you try to rent in Athlethan, on the racecourse road, there is a two bed apartment for rent at the moment there, reason I know because there is a sign outside the apartment. The estate agents are Habitit...
I believe its a lovely estate to rent in - nice a quiet, a friend of mine lives there.... and she has never mentioned any trouble

Habitit...????!

Be warned - Ath Leathan or whatever Racecourse Rd is near dump. No amenities nearby, you would be very dependent on car. If you are renting avoid new estates and the ones listed by other poster eg cox's, Castle Ross. If you come up with any other names of estates, areas stick up a post and I'll try to give you m honest opinion. Red Barns Rd is a very settled area hence the reason it is more expensive.

basically I agree with milan & MB7 but I would disagree with MB7 on Ath Leathan.. The Dump has been closed for God knows how many years under EU rules. (all bin collections in the Dundalk area are 'dumped' at Scotch Corner between Castleblayney and Monaghan. there is a recycling centre on the newry road but besides being clean its not really nearby. there is a bit of swampland to the front of the estate but its a protected slobland for wildlife and will never be built on.
I was looking at purchasing a house in Ath Leathan two years ago but the rooms were smaller than my own so I passed. but the house ( actually number 1) was in brilliant position. just be aware though that while the greyhound track is nearby and is used about twice a week there will be night time horse racing there in the near future. there is also talk of an hotel being built at the race/dog track. there is a bowling alley with bar and restaurant within a kilometre. and from what I've heard the restaurant and bar are good. the dog track ( dundalk stadium) has abar and restaurant too but I don't think you can visit the bar or restaurant without 'going to the dog's. its a lovely length of a walk to town on a nice day and just as important if your working in the Louth its a straight run through,traffic for sure but an easy run just the same. Saltown would be a nightmare between 8.30 and 9am every morning with two secondary schools close by and traffic from the Castleblayney road has right of way at that junction. you will be relying on courtesy to get out of the junction at that time and I have seen lengthy queues there. ( blame the town council the junction is perfectly capable of carrying a roundabout but when theres one required (junction of St Marys Road/Castle Road is another place) they dont put them in. where there's no need for one of course.........
there should be a good few houses for renting up around the college and its even nearer to the Louth, but you might have to wait until June to get one.

Saltown would be a nightmare between 8.30 and 9am every morning with two secondary schools close by and traffic from the Castleblayney road has right of way at that junction. you will be relying on courtesy to get out of the junction at that time and I have seen lengthy queues there. ( blame the town council the junction is perfectly capable of carrying a roundabout but when theres one required (junction of St Marys Road/Castle Road is another place) they dont put them in. where there's no need for one of course.........

council have now acceeded to demands from schools to do something about the castleblayney road junction and I see from this weeks papers that they are going to erect lights at this junction. will make it a lot easier to get into town from saltown. ( they have now also erected lights at the st marys road/castle road junction - probably fed up having to sweep up all the glass from accidents on that corner.)

Back