Tablet with or without a Pen that is the question

Prosper

I want to get a Tablet (I've decided on Samsung A7 or S6 Lite). The main uses I'll make of the Tablet are reading newpapers/books and taking notes of info that interests me and accessing emails on the go. I'd like the notes I take from newspapers/books to be searchable by keywords. So my main question is:
  1. If I buy the S6 Lite, will writing using the Pen convert to digital text that can be filed in relevant folders and subsequently searched by keywords?
  2. If I buy the A7 (no Pen), how good is the on-screen keyboard?
I wouldn't be a hi-tech user. The only other use I can think of is having the Tablet in my backpack and listening to the radio on the go.

I want to stick with Android OS as this is what I'm used to.

Did you read any online reviews for the product(s) concerned?
Yes I looked a couple of video reviews but they didn't really answer the two questions in my OP. Also, I've been in two retailers and the staff really didn't know whether you could convert the writing with the S Pen into text. In both shops I they were unable to demonstrate this function or show me the on screen keyboard to allow me to try it.
I was hoping that someone on AAM might be able to answer.

Last edited:
  1. If I buy the S6 Lite, will writing using the Pen convert to digital text that can be filed in relevant folders and subsequently searched by keywords?

1. If I buy the A7 (no Pen), how good is the on-screen keyboard?
Tablet keyboards take up a good chunk of the screen space, they work, but aren't great. You'd be better off getting a case with built-in Bluetooth keyboard that will move you towards a real keyboard experience, Samsung do one, but cheaper options are available.

If you want to go down the handwriting recognition route, while the pen & tablet are one part of the equation, the conversion software, handwriting to digital text, are the other part.

Some sample apps here. https://www.businessnewsdaily.com/10467-best-handwriting-recognition-apps.html

There are of course others available. It doesn't surprise me sales staff are not product trained or product savvy. As tech prices fall and devices become like kitchen untensils, keeping up-to-date is a challenge. Have you looked at speech-to-text as an alternative?

Back