tablet for children

telco

hi there

I am getting my 2 daughters a tablet as their Santa present , however I don't want the tablets that are aimed at children as they will out grow them quickly. My max budget is €130 each. Preferably a 9 inch screen with dual camera , did some research on the cheaper versions available in Harvey Normans , the reviews were not good. I know you get what you pay for but with the huge choice out there I would have thought it wasn't a too difficult ask ! can anyone recommend make/model ( android ) mostly for downloading games apps , books, taking photos ...

many thanks

Have look here......

[broken link removed]

have dealt with them before, no probs.
But order quickly if you want Santa to deliver them.

hi there

I am getting my 2 daughters a tablet as their Santa present , however I don't want the tablets that are aimed at children as they will out grow them quickly. My max budget is €130 each. Preferably a 9 inch screen with dual camera , did some research on the cheaper versions available in Harvey Normans , the reviews were not good. I know you get what you pay for but with the huge choice out there I would have thought it wasn't a too difficult ask ! can anyone recommend make/model ( android ) mostly for downloading games apps , books, taking photos ...

many thanks

Hi, for young kids a 7" tablet is actually more suitable, and the case of you get what you pay for is completely true when it comes to tablets. I have a samsung galaxy tab 3, 7 inch and its brilliant. Herself has an ipad, and ive had a couple of the cheaper ones too. Although a little over your budget, i'd be looking for the 7" galaxy, really is an excellent piece of kit, and is as fast and responsive as they'll need..

I'm not good on technology, but a couple of weeks ago on the radio they mentioned a device for kids by Argus for 100 GBP. A new product to compete with the more expensive devices, and as far as I could tell, it would be manufactured by the same people that do the expensive ones.

I'm not good on technology, but a couple of weeks ago on the radio they mentioned a device for kids by Argus for 100 GBP. A new product to compete with the more expensive devices, and as far as I could tell, it would be manufactured by the same people that do the expensive ones.

If you are referring to the MyTablet by Argos, they are already thinking of discontinuing the product after some appalling reviews.

You do get what you pay for in the tablet world. What is particularly good value at present is the Nook HD 7" tablet on Littlewoods for €109. This has a fantastic screen and access to the Google play store. The only thing it doesn't have is a camera. Otherwise I would look for the Samsung Galaxy Tab.

In general terms, a quality name gets you a quality tablet...

+1 on the Nook HD 7 inch.My son got one for his birthday and loves it (79 stg from Asda Direct).
However if no camera is a deal breaker,then look elsewhere!

many thanks for the suggestions , I have an Ipad and a Samsung Galaxy phone , so we have experience of the good brands, my inability to get near them at home though prompted the idea of the Santa pressie !
Front camera at least needed for skyping cousins in NZ, am a little reluctant to go for branded names given one child is only 6 and has a habit of losing items, I may revisit that though as no point in spending money on something that won't deliver what we need..and keep them supervised at all times ! out of interest @ chrisboy, why is a 7inch screen better for small kids ? thanks again

Think I have landed on the right one for the girls HP Slate 7, on promotion with one of retailers at the moment €159 , €20 cash back after 21 days, also comes with cover and earphones

It got good reviews with the technology team on News Talk, anybody have experience with it ?

Expert Reviews generally do good, balanced reviews, they're not too impressed, but looking at the specs, it will do exactly what you want.

many thanks for the suggestions , I have an Ipad and a Samsung Galaxy phone , so we have experience of the good brands, my inability to get near them at home though prompted the idea of the Santa pressie !
Front camera at least needed for skyping cousins in NZ, am a little reluctant to go for branded names given one child is only 6 and has a habit of losing items, I may revisit that though as no point in spending money on something that won't deliver what we need..and keep them supervised at all times ! out of interest @ chrisboy, why is a 7inch screen better for small kids ? thanks again

Well, the smaller kids seem to be able to hold the 7" in one hand and swipe with the other, the 10" is more cumbersome for the smaller hands.. Also theyre lighter, and although they dont bounce well, my 7" has survived a couple of falls and i know one or 2 people who've said their 10" hasnt fared so well! The fact that the 7" is a fair amount cheaper especially since a small child WILL drop it, would sway me towards it.. Make sure you order a couple of rubber protectors for them off ebay for when you do get them, only a couple of quid each..

Personally, id prefer a 10" but the 7" does me fine!! (Dont read that the wrong way!)

[broken link removed]

This here is an amazing deal, from argos, use parcel motel to get them shipped to you for 3.50 euro... You most definitely wont do any better than this.

[broken link removed]

This here is an amazing deal, from argos, use parcel motel to get them shipped to you for 3.50 euro... You most definitely wont do any better than this.

That's simply fantastic value... it may be last year's model but would be absolutely perfect for the OP...

I know it's slightly over your budget, but Power City had the Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7" recently for €150, it's a perfect size, especially to double as an e-reader with the Kindle app installed. Quality name, quality product. Probably the same model as the Littlwoods one referred to above.

I certainly wouldn't touch a cheapo model with a bargepole.

Another option is a Kindle Fire from Amazon, which in essence is an Android tablet that's slightly hobbled. They can be de-hobbled, but sometimes it's better to limit what they can do on the tabs.

thanks everyone , being swayed to the ASUS google, it has a dual camera I believe ? not obvious from spec on ebay...how does parcel motel work ?

Front camera at least needed for skyping cousins in NZ

I guess that SKYPE would amount to a very small proportion of the time spent using the tablet. And, for those times, would you not all be on the call, and use the iPAD ?

And any tablet is cumbersome as a camera. And often the camera lens is low-spec. So, if that's your only need for a front-facing camera, I think you should extend your search to include units without one.

thanks everyone , being swayed to the ASUS google, it has a dual camera I believe ? not obvious from spec on ebay...how does parcel motel work ?

Note that that one is a "Refurb". Nothing wrong with that, per se, but the usual price of that model is closer to £200.

Note that that one is a "Refurb". Nothing wrong with that, per se, but the usual price of that model is closer to £200.

Argos are still selling the older model in-store as well! And for €310!! PC World have the new one for €300 (with a cash-back offer bringing that down to €270). The new one retails at $280 in the US.

So you can tell which is which, the new one has a quad core Qualcomm Snapdrgon S4 processor running at 1.5GHz and 2Gb RAM, old one, 1.2GHz NVIDIA Tegra 3 processor and 1Gb RAM.

Back