Synthetic grass - any opinions?

lou2

Thinking of replacing my lawn (which is now almost entirely moss rather than grass) with synthetic grass. I want something very low maintenance so thinking of this option. Does anyone have it in their garden or does anyone have any knowledge/opinions on this? Thanks.

I would prefer to pave it, tarmac, gravel, anything rather than fake grass, I can't imagine it would look good. I have only seen it abroad, recently in Tenerife along the footpaths and I thought it just looked silly. Gravel and some nice pots maybe.

you can get all different types of grade and is very good i've done it a few times and looks the part, but it is expensive if you have a larger than standard garden it will set you back a bit for a good one, easyer solution rotivate your whole lawn and relay roll on sod.

Saw it a couple of years ago at Bloom (the garden show), and thought it looked (and felt) very good.

I have it in my garden. Zero maintenance and looks good due to high pile. Some of the samples received looked terrible. Personally I miss a real lawn but it wasn't worth the ongoing battle with poor drainage. The synthetic stuff drains instantly due to the sand and hardcore underneath. It is very clean, doesn't burn or graze the skin and kids can play barefoot at anytime. The trick is to put enough beds around the garden to ensure there is some nature available to you. If there is a large area it is a good consideration to break it also with some gravel or paving.

I don't know, I've never smoked astroturf...

(From Only Fools and horses, when Rodney was asked by the tennis player which he preferred between real grass, and astroturf.)

Lou,

I had the same trouble with moss and very poor grass...until recently.

Went into Woodies, bought a moss and weed killer (red box) shook it all over, waited about 10 days and then gave it more! God did the grass grow. Went to rake out the dead moss about 2 weeks later, did a small square, gave up, grass too long. (Hadn't cut it up til that point.) I went out last night cut it at the highest level on the lawn mower and boy do I have a lawn!!

Lou,

I had the same trouble with moss and very poor grass...until recently.

Went into Woodies, bought a moss and weed killer (red box) shook it all over, waited about 10 days and then gave it more! God did the grass grow. Went to rake out the dead moss about 2 weeks later, did a small square, gave up, grass too long. (Hadn't cut it up til that point.) I went out last night cut it at the highest level on the lawn mower and boy do I have a lawn!!

Could you give us the brand name of the feed used? I have used these type of feeds in the past and my grass was always much greener and more lush than the neighbours.

I used to have a decent enough lawn in my last house, but I was advised at around Apr/May to rake all the dead grass out of it, and then spike it with a pitch fork. I spent a few hours doing this, and a few weeks later the improvement was amazing. Where they used to be baldy patches with old thatch there was now grass, think the raking allowed new grass to flourish.

Its time consuming but pays dividends.

Some folk think lawns look after themselves, but if you put a bit of work into them, they can improve dramatically.

Thanks for the info on this. The quote I ended up getting for the synthetic grass and garden work was excessive so I think I will have to see if I can revive the lawn. It really is in very bad condition. Covered in spongy moss...very little grass left. I assumed it was past the point of rescue but having read some of these posts perhaps its not.

my lawn is full of weeds, going to hire a rotavator and start again, cheapest way to do it

Back