Sydney for 2 weeks, too far to go?

FTB81

Hi all,

I had planned a 7 week holiday to Australia, to travel down the east coast. Flights all booked and paid for. Now due to a chage in circumstances I cannot go for the 7 wks. Need to decide whether to cancel the trip entirely, or just go for 12 - 14 days in December to Sydney to meet up with the people I was going with. Is Oz too far to go for such a short period? Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Two weeks isn't ideal, but it's not the worst amount of time. Go for it. It's December, the sun will be shining!

Have you ever flown to Oz before? It's a hellish journey if you don't stop over somewhere for a night or two.
You will be jetlagged, no doubt about it. It's not really a problem on the way out but when I came home last time I woke up, wide awake, at 3.30am every morning for a week.

Hi Reds,

No I've never flown to australia before! That's what I'm a bit worried about. It's a direct flight that i've booked, only stop somewhere for fuel. I can handle being wrecked when I get home, I just don't want to arrive over there messed up for days when I only have a short time there. Right now, I think I'd be flying out on 29 November and home 12 Dec, it really isn't long.

The strange thing is that travel agents for some reason discourage people from flying to Australia via the USA. I can't for the life of me work out why.

I have flown to Australia before and found flying via Dubai etc to be even more hellish. Jet lag is not as bad travelling westwards.

I am off to Australia for 3 weeks at the end of December. Ideally it would be better if I could make it at least a month, but I don't want to use up my entire holiday allowance on one holiday. If you're not worried about being jet lagged upon your return, I'd say go for it.

The strange thing is that travel agents for some reason discourage people from flying to Australia via the USA. I can't for the life of me work out why.

I have flown to Australia before and found flying via Dubai etc to be even more hellish. Jet lag is not as bad travelling westwards.

I've been out to Oz and back four times, three times via Asia and once via LA. I'd never fly via LA again. Firstly, the flight times are longer (11 hours to LA and another 15 to Sydney)
Secondly, coming back is akin to Groundhog Day because you cross the International Date Line. So we left Sydney at 2pm, flew a hellish 15 hours to LA ... and arrived at 4pm the same day.

When we connected via LA you we also had to collect our bags and check them in again. Between that and the two hours to get through very-excitable US airport security, it was pretty stressful.
As far as I'm aware, it's also quite a bit more expensive to fly to Oz via the US.

I would say GO! I've done the journey a few times, once for just 2 wks, luckily I've never suffered jet lag as I get into 'Oz time' as soon as i arrive. Also, I never stayed somewhere overnight going or coming... everyone's different, I know... but you'll get to see lots over 2 wks in Sydney, and the weather will be lovely!
am v. jealous...

S

I've been out to Oz and back four times, three times via Asia and once via LA. I'd never fly via LA again. Firstly, the flight times are longer (11 hours to LA and another 15 to Sydney)
Secondly, coming back is akin to Groundhog Day because you cross the International Date Line. So we left Sydney at 2pm, flew a hellish 15 hours to LA ... and arrived at 4pm the same day.

When we connected via LA you we also had to collect our bags and check them in again. Between that and the two hours to get through very-excitable US airport security, it was pretty stressful.
As far as I'm aware, it's also quite a bit more expensive to fly to Oz via the US.
I would certainly not travel straight thru if going via LAX. I would take 2 days break there outbound and inbound.

I agree with reds. LAX is the worst airport I was ever in & the Americans are really paranoid about security now.
I've been to Australia 3 times the Asian route & only did a stop-over once.
Go for it ! Try to get as much sleep as possible on the plane & get on to Aussie time as quickly as you can.
Strangely I found my jet lag worse on my return....perhaps the excitement of being on hols keeps the adrenaline pumping !

I went to Sydney for two days once - from Dublin. My missus was working on the flight though so that was the main reason. It was still a great trip and I got to see plenty. 2 weeks is loads of time. Life is short.

I've gone through Tokyo both times I went to Australia. It's a great trip, easy on the body and if you're motivated enough to go into Tokyo from Narita (where the airport is) it's arguably the most intersting stop-off you could make.

Two weeks is grand..When I lived there and my parents came out for two and a half weeks once and we even managed to go to North Queensland for a few days within that time....Wouldn't recommend any stop offs on the way there or back given you only have two weeks...You will likely get into Oz time quickly when you arrive, you might struggle a bit upon your return.... Very hot time of year to be in Sydney but great fun! Enjoy!

I would definitely go for it why not?! When I went out for 6 months my boyfriend came to visit for two weeks and he was fine, granted he did fall asleep at his desk the day after he arrived home and had to go straight to work. Don't miss out on this trip its an amazing city!

FTB I have gone over to Sydney a few times (with no stopover)stayed mostly just over 2 weeks (although I previously had lived there) I always find the flights going over are much worse coming back. Try to get a flight that arrives in about 7 in the evening and that night get a good night sleep. I always say I will do that when I go over but manage to go out on the lash everytime with my friends! 2 weeks is more than enough to see everything in Sydney and have a great time. I'm so jealous that you are going need anyone to carry your bags!

Have done this trip several times for even shorter periods. It is easy to do. The trick is to always travel westbound, ideally via LA (clearing immigration in DUB). If you can handle the hassle of changing planes in London San Fran & Vancouver are also options. Wherever you do it get off for 24 hours, stay awake as long as possible when you arrive.

Then off to Syd. From there Westbound home, no need to stop if you don't want to, Tokyo, Hong Kong, Dubai wherever. It is cheaper than it sounds with round the world tickets.

Get an aisle seat,earplugs, eyeshades and inflateable headrest. Buy a large water to take onboard. Don't be afraid of a glass or two of wine,beer. Stay up as late as you can in the US/Canada. Never sleep between 10am and 8pm when you get there.....and enjoy, it's worth the effort.

Stay as calm and relaxed as possible. I find swimming works very well, drink a bit, eat at the "right" time for your location and don't nap beyond 24 hours after you arrive... The rest is all in the mind.

Back