Swords population over 68,000. Number of rental properties available 4 !!!!

The small village of Kilnaleck, with a population of around 100 (which houses a small immigrant community who work in local food production) is supposed to have 91. There are barely 91 buildings in Kilnaleck, let alone empty dwellings. .

That's very interesting Tommy, so the figures are wrong. On empty houses around the country. How do they count them I wonder. I must say like the OP I've noticed on daft that where I have my rentals there is hardly a thing now to rent. City not county. But I also know there are plenty of derlict houses that are crying out for renovation but there's no way I'd take it on as there is no incentive to do so. If they let me write off the renovation costs I'd do it. In another city I could build two units to house four if planning was easier and they changed the rules on density.

. The CSO were questioned on the numbers at the time, and they defended them saying houses were only classified as vacant if neighbours were unable to confirm whether anyone was living there and they showed signs of being unoccupied such as overgrown gardens after multiple visits including over weekends. The numbers reported in the CSO tables includes surrounding townlands as well though, so with Cavan as the axample, every dwelling in the county is covered by one of the 100 regions.

This is how the CSO counts housing? Someone is physically calling out to areas and talking to neighbours. Surely a list of every house with electricty and usage or non usage would immediately tell you this information. This reminds me of Irish water and them not able to figure out one house from another and one mad story about identifying them by the colour of the door or some other madness.

The figures are still a mile wrong. They state 233 empty homes in Virginia, as per the census a year ago. There are currently no houses or apartments available for rent in Virginia and the situation wasn't much different 12 months ago. No way is there 233 empty properties in or anywhere near the town. There might be a dozen vacant commercial properties and there are a few long-derelict houses on the Main Street. That's about it.

I don't believe for a second that the CSO are repeatedly calling to houses with overgrown gardens up and down the country to check whether or not they are occupied.

Today there are 3 houses for rent in Virginia. A one bed, a three bed and a 4 bed. There are 85 properties for sale (surprisingly large houses on a cursory glance). But one would assume there are people living in those houses. And we're supposed to believe there are anolther 233 empty houses as well. How big is Virginia?

I only used Daft.

The houses being recorded as unoccupied are just that, unoccupied. For the most part they are not being rented, and the CSO make no differentiation between empty houses that are on the market for sale, up for let, or just plain left empty for the long term by the owners for whatever reason.

The Virginia region covers 1,866 properties, so a lot more than just the town, I'm not there that often and I know a few that are empty. I can't speak for everywhere, but the enumerator in my area called to me several times trying to confirm a couple of unoccupied properties over a few weeks.

Leo the houses you know that are empty, are they up for sale, why are they empty, in general? How does the enumerator get your phone no?

This is how the CSO counts housing? Someone is physically calling out to areas and talking to neighbours. Surely a list of every house with electricty and usage or non usage would immediately tell you this information. This reminds me of Irish water and them not able to figure out one house from another and one mad story about identifying them by the colour of the door or some other madness.

That data is gathered as part of the census.

Leo the houses you know that are empty, are they up for sale, why are they empty, in general? How does the enumerator get your phone no?

I can't speak for all of them but quite a few are just empty, or very occasionally occupied be extended family. Not up for sale or rent. Like a lot of similar communities there are houses that used to be occupied by the elderly who have since moved into care or live with family. Some of these would require work to put them on the market for sale or rent.

They call to me, the don't call me. The last census the enumerator called asking about an empty house near me three times in the hope I'd heard something about whether anyone might be living there!

Mr Coveney said his statistics were based on the same criteria as has been used by governments for decades, which is the number of new ESB connections.

That's a good indication of new builds that are ready for occupation, but there's no accurate figure for houses with no connection that are not derelict. Also, minimal usage could mean a holiday home or a vacant house, so again meter connections does nothing to give you those numbers. Also, there are a growing number (albeit still very small I'd imagine) living off-grid.

That's very interesting Tommy, so the figures are wrong. On empty houses around the country. How do they count them I wonder.

I understand that if the local census enumerator records them as empty when they call around census time, they are officially regarded as empty.

Census enumeration is a thankless, underpaid and increasingly difficult job to do properly.

People who have done this work will tell you that it's next to impossible to track down the occupants of many homes, because of people working odd hours, difficulties in accessing apartments, and people who refuse point-blank to answer the door to strangers.

So it's perfectly understandable if enumerators are exaggerating the numbers of empty homes. It's not understandable or acceptable if the CSO and other state bodies are ignoring this obvious deficiency in their data.

Afaik, the CSO don't have access to ESB usage data.

Last edited:
Today there are 3 houses for rent in Virginia. A one bed, a three bed and a 4 bed. There are 85 properties for sale (surprisingly large houses on a cursory glance). But one would assume there are people living in those houses. And we're supposed to believe there are anolther 233 empty houses as well. How big is Virginia?

I only used Daft.
Virginia's population was 2,282 per the 2011 census. It has about 5 pubs, a Supervalu, a recently-opened Lidl, a Costcutter convenience store, a newsagent and maybe a dozen or two more shops. It no longer has a bank nor, bizarrely, a filling station.

Last edited:
It really annoys me that the government is looking at the current "headline" rents as reported on daft and genuinely believe that landlords are making huge net profits. Sure why would current landlords (accidental or not) sell "their golden goose" when they are raking in the cash. Taking Swords again as an example, with 4 rental properties currently available on the Daft website and I would imagine thousands of properties currently being let in Swords, this average rent figure would only sample less than 1% of total rental properties. With extremely limiting rent caps in place I would imagine over 99% of properties currently being rented in Swords fall WELL short of these headline rents. I am averaging 25% less. You think the government consider this??? NO
When you add on your Time, Tax and Tenant Traumas !!! You wonder what the attraction is ?????

Back