Switching to LTV / Lender / Paying Lump Sum - advice please

Cutiepie

- I am currently on a 3.15% variable rate with AIB.
- 13 years left on the mortgage. -
- €141k owed.
- I don't have a current valuation but the loan to value is less than 50%.
- Have €55k in savings that I had planned to use 1/2 for renovations and 1/2 as a lump sum. However the renovations are not high priority.

Could I please get some advice on the best options here - switch to a LTV rate, switch lender, pay off lump sum, all of the above??? Mortgage matters would not be my forte so would really appreciate some advice.
Thank You

I think all of these rates are still accurate. You should certainly consider fixing with AIB or switching to Avant/KBC

If you make a lump sum now and reduce your mortgage to €120k, then AIB/Avant/KBC are all very similar value to you
  • Staying with AIB means no switching costs which roughly balance the higher rates versus Avant
  • Switching to KBC will give you €3k cashback so easily cover switching costs with some leftover, again balances out more or less with the higher rate versus Avant
  • Switch to Avant for the best rate, you cover the cost of switching but it is the best rate
There are pro's cons to each
  • Staying with AIB is easy and their 3&5 year fixed rates have an unusual quirk whereby you are unlikely to see a penalty for overpayments due to how they calculate break fees so a good option if you expect to have the ability to overpay. See here
  • KBC allow 10% overpayment over the term and offer cashback but to get their best rates you need to have a current account with them. Not a lot of hassle but you need to do it and have a salary paid to that account
  • Avant are the best rate but you may or may not be eligible depending on where your property is in the country. They are focusing on cities to begin with.

Back