Switching to Flo Gas from Bord Gais.

Discussion in 'Home energy' started by Grizzly, Jan 12, 2018 at 4:27 PM.

1. Grizzly

Grizzly Frequent Poster

I haven't made the switch. I was looking at Bonkers the other day and I saw that I could save minimum €180 per annum by switching from Bord Gais to Flo Gas.

I thought that I might give Bord Gais a call out of 40 years loyalty. They offered me €80 to stay.

When I pointed out that I have been overpaying for years (my fault) and that enough was enough and that I would like them to at least match the Flo Gas price their answer was "sorry" there is nothing we can do except offer you €80.

Pretty poor. I will go ahead and make the switch next week but I am curious to find out how Flo Gas are to deal with?

Thanks

Griz.

2. vandriver

vandriver Frequent Poster

You just pay the bill to someone else.Apart from that,nothing changes.
    Have you also looked at your electricity costs?

3. RedOnion

RedOnion Frequent Poster

I was with Flogas a few years ago. Great introduction rates for your first year, but watch out for what their rates revert to when discount is removed at the end of 12 months.

Biggest discount is if you switch both electricity and gas to same provider.

I'm with Electric Ireland for both, what I like about it is I have the discount indefinitely, rather than having to phone up or switch provider every year.

4. Kerrygrrrl

Kerrygrrrl Registered User

I'm with Flogas for the third year in a row on a 22% retention discount. They contacted me in the last month of the contract each time. Always was best deal on offer when I used comparison sites. My electricity is with energia this year. No issues to deal with them but no online facility.

MrEarl likes this.
  5. Lucian N

Lucian N New Member

I’m with Flo Gas also..into 2nd year now
    No hassle at all.. bill every 2 mths..DD payment
    According to Bonkers I could save less than €10 by switching now... bigger save by switching energy,so I’ve done only that

6. RedOnion

RedOnion Frequent Poster

It's good to see they've brought this in since I was with them.

7. Grizzly

Grizzly Frequent Poster

Thanks. A few years back I switched to Energia from Electric Ireland and I have noticed that my bills are lower. However you have to remember to contact them when your contract expires in order to continue with a lower rate.

I kept putting off switching my gas but made contact over the past few days. I have to say that the Dublin Gas staff didn't seem really interested if I switched or not.
    O.K. Flo Gas seems to be the way to go.

8. Lillymarlane

Lillymarlane New Member

Had a special introductory offer from calor gas for 2 years. I was told the first 12 months was a set price and then I was given a price band that would apply when the first 12 months were up. I got a generic price increase letter in the post so I rang to confirm the price was as agreed in the beginning. I was told it wasn't. I argued the agreed price, contacted their guy who sent me the price band and asked him to sort it. He came back saying he had asked that I'd be charged a different price again...cheaper than the generic letter but dearer than our contract. I again disagreed but had to order a fill. Yes, i was overcharged on the delivery docket. Its about 60€ over our contract but it also means our contract price will not be applied to our next fill... bottom line I'm delighted with the lpg gas heating and water but having to start into an argument at beginning of our 2nd year leaves a bad taste in the mouth. Calors price seems very high NOW! Discounted @ 54c last year...82c this year! Does anyone know does this negate our contract when they up the price agreement? Thank you.

9. MrEarl

MrEarl Frequent Poster

I would like to echo those comments, Flogas have proven the cheapest for the last 3 years for me also and again, the annual 22% retention discount has been there for me (albeit, I did have to commit to a new 12 month contract each time, but that's not an issue).

Based on my own experiences, I am more than happy to recommend them.

10. Grizzly

Grizzly Frequent Poster

Bord Gais have increased their offer from €80 to €100 for me to stay. This will be credited to my account. They will still charge a higher rate per k of gas though compared to Flo Gas.
    My last bill with Bord Gais is an estimated bill. When I make the switch to Flo Gas and if I have overpaid Bord Gais how is this balanced out?

11. michaelm

michaelm Frequent Poster

Good, in my experience. I forget to contact them when my 12 months was up (went over by two months and only realised when the bill landed) but when I did I got onto the 22% retention and had that backdated. They just sent me a new cheaper bill, easy.

12. suzie

suzie Frequent Poster

With them for years, though like to see them get online accounts

13. michaelm

michaelm Frequent Poster

Until they introduced (or I became aware of) the retention discounts I was alternating FloGas with others depending on the deal. I like the simplicity of a paper bill and just paying what's due (a paper utility bill is handy as proof of address too).

14. sahd

sahd Frequent Poster

Probably too late - but have you looked at Electric Ireland for gas? They don't show up on Bonkers as the cheapest because they are not allowed to include cashback offers in the calculations - but with €175 cashback, Electric Ireland would work out cheaper than Flogas over 12 months .. see here : http://www.moneyguideireland.com/bord-gais-or-flogas-who-is-the-cheapest-for-gas.html
    Just switch again in a years time . That's what I do.

15. Grizzly

Grizzly Frequent Poster

Thanks. Do FloGas still use the paper billing? I still like the old fashioned way.

sahd. That's interesting about Electric Ireland. Worth a look. I haven't switched yet.

16. Delboy

Delboy Frequent Poster

Yes, Flogas still issue paper bills every 2 months.

17. DeclanDublin

DeclanDublin New Member

I've been with flogasa few times over the yrs and never a problem, tho they are in the dark ages when it comes to technology, still on papers bills etc. I will switch away tho this yr as I got a better deal on bonkers.ie. For thos thinking of switching, make sure you switch after ur existing contract expires.