Switching mortgages

Breffni12

i am just coming out of a 2year fixed mortgage and the interest rate im getting quoted from my bank is 2% higher which is a big increase for me. i have tried other banks and am not having much luck, one bank says I must own 80% of my home, I only own 90% and giving the exact same details I gave my bank 2 years ago (when I got a 92% mortgage of 200,000) I am only being offered 90,000 max now(this is from a number of institutions). how can this happen in such a short time. does it mean my bank were crazy giving me the money in the first place or are all banks being extremely cautious at the moment?
have I any other options or do I jus have to pay the higher rate to my bank because I cant avail of other banks' lower rates.?

I only own 90%
And probably falling given current property market conditions?
how can this happen in such a short time.
Have you not been reading the newspapers/listening to the news lately?
does it mean my bank were crazy giving me the money in the first place
Impossible to tell without more info about your overall financial circumstances - e.g. what percentage of net income goes on mortgage repayments? What term is your mortgage over?
or are all banks being extremely cautious at the moment?
Yes.
have I any other options or do I jus have to pay the higher rate to my bank because I cant avail of other banks' lower rates.?
Have you tried other lenders in person and not just online calculators and the like? It may well be that in practice you simply cannot switch right now.

I suspect you only own 10% in reality (and falling as clubman says).. and had to borrow, like the rest of us the other 90/92% when originally purchasing, most lenders at present will only lend 80% of the value of the property on a re-mortgage or apartment purchase, and up to 92% on a new house purchase.
A fixed rate 2 years ago would be perhaps about 3.8%, you will be doing well to get even 5.8% with your current Loan To Value etc..

I think u may be right. I have tried a number of lenders in person and was told i do not qualify for a mortgage with them.my morgage up to now was approx 1/3 of my net monthly income.with the mortgage rate rise it is now going to be half of my income.to be honest i was very surprised when i was refused. how are people buying houses at the moment or even getting mortgage approval at all.i am in a secure well apid job with only a car loan and no missed payments and i cudnt even get 100,000 approved.wil just hav to sit tight for a couple of years and hope it settles down.

Back