Switching Mortgage - Decent Solicitor Fees

bluetoff

I am currently in the early stages of switching my mortgage, the best solicitors quote I have received so far is €1150 all in. Is this a reasonable quote or can anyone recommend any one cheaper. Based in Dublin.

Yeah it includes everything, it's the solicitor I originally used when buying the house and I found the service to be good.

How does he know in advance what all the outlays are or is he offering a fixed price on these regardless of whether they actually turn out to be higher (or lower)?

Some lenders cover your legal fees or give you an allowance towards fees
if you switch mortgages. While it may not be advertised it is well worth asking the local branch.

Why not use a lender who will pay your legal fees? There are several lenders now doing this.

[broken link removed] charge a flat fee of €1059 but I don't think they cover all the lenders. A solicitor should be able to match this fee.

As I said - shopping on price alone for a conveyancing solicitor may be a false economy...

How does he know in advance what all the outlays are or is he offering a fixed price on these regardless of whether they actually turn out to be higher (or lower)?

As the solicitor acted when the OP bought he/she would have a very good idea of exactly what the outlays would be now bar a few euro either way.

Ulster Bank pay legal fees. Unfortunately Ulster Bank are the worst bank in the entire land.

Second that - and First Active of course. EBS are relatively ok and they pay legals, so do BOS if you go direct ie not through a broker. Are NIB still paying legals?

Yes, and always shop in a store that gives you clubcard points, regardless of whether they are dearer than elsewhere...

And why do you assume that a lender is more expensive just because they pay legal fees? NIB have the lowest tracker rate for LTVs below 50% and cover legal fees.

Back