Health Insurance Switching Insurer in middle of Cancer treatment - implications

letitroll

Hi All,

My father is currently completing radiotherapy for throat cancer. Prognosis is good and final radiotherapy session has just been completed - next step is checking back in with consultant in Feb to see if the cancer has been eliminated.

In terms health insurance he is currently on VHI Healthplus Excess (€1800) up for renewal in a few days and in normal circumstances and after having done some research on alternatives I would be advising him and my mother to switch to Laya Simplicity Plan (€1087) which is getting good feedback on AAM and seems to be comparable or even better in terms of cover.

What, if any, are the implications of a plan & insurer switch in general and more specifically in regard to the cancer treatment albeit almost completed?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Last edited:
letitroll,

What hospital does your father attend for his illness?
I assume their renewal is January 1 2017?

Snowyb

There are no implications if you switch to a plan with similar cover, which is the case switching from VHI Healthplus Excess to Laya Simplicity.
There will be a 2 year waiting for any extra cover just in respect of any pre-existing illnesses.
Extra cover on Simplicity would be cover included for a private room in a private hospital.
New illnesses would be covered straight away including the extra cover on the new plan.
There is no cover difference for Beaumont hospital on either plan so its switching from like to like.
There is no waiting time applied to the extra day to day cover on Simplicity plan, regardless of age.

An alternative with VHI is PMI 41 15 price 1254pa which does not increase until 2 Jan 2017.
There would be a 2 year wait applied to the extra day to day cover for over 65 years, Healthplus Excess day to day cover would apply while
waiting. Hospital cover would be similar as before so no change there.

[broken link removed]

Snowyb

Thanks Snowyb for the clarification - really appreciate it

When you say the extra cover won't kick in for two years - does this mean that Laya will cover you to the level you were covered on previously with VHI Healthplus Excess i.e. they take the T&C's from VHI Healthplus Excess say under the private room / private hospital heading and apply that old VHI coverage level to any claims for two years before allowing you to move to their higher end coverage after the waiting period has expired?

So in essense your not losing anything its staying the same, your just not gaining anything until the two year period is up?

Last edited:
Yes, cover stays the same and the 2 year wait for extra hospital cover only applies to any pre-existing illnesses.
There is no wait for new illnesses - extra hospital cover applies straight away.
There is no wait for the extra day to day cover with Laya - cover applies straight away.

Snowyb

Back