Switching Gas / Elec What to look out for

IrishGunner

Ok time of the year that Gas and Electricity contracts are up

For Tax return I got my annual bills so can use this amount. So checking on comparison sites and inserted details and came up with options. Just wondering what do I need to watch out for i.e small print etc

Also got Estimated Annual Bill from Gas co as per guidance from the CRU and this was higher than the annual bill, but not sure if this Est bill is for 2021?

So putting these figures in and just need to find out and can see various breakdowns comparisons below for Gas for example

Unit rate ex VAT (cent/kWh) / Unit rate ex VAT (cent/kWh) / Standing charge ex VAT (cent/day) / Standing charge inc VAT (cent/day)
Standing charge inc VAT (cent/day) / Standing charge inc VAT (cent/day) / Standing charge inc VAT (cent/day) / VAT @ 13.50%

Have not rang my current provider but is there anything that I should be asking them ie offers or what rates are different as above is standard rate on current provider?
While the comparison is a Best Gas Only Offer

Any tips helps etc appreciate it

I changed last year and got a €100 off as an incentive. Their actual unit price was not the cheapest but taking the discount into account over the whole year it worked out slightly cheaper than the one offering the cheapest unit rate. Then Covid happened and my bill is going to be probably 25% higher in units than previous. This problem is that it may not now be the cheapest over the year. I don't think it will be significant but if you are out on estimates it could happen. For this reason I'd be tempted to go with the cheapest unit price as oppose to the standing charge. Hope that makes sense.

I changed last year and got a €100 off as an incentive. Their actual unit price was not the cheapest but taking the discount into account over the whole year it worked out slightly cheaper than the one offering the cheapest unit rate. Then Covid happened and my bill is going to be probably 25% higher in units than previous. This problem is that it may not now be the cheapest over the year. I don't think it will be significant but if you are out on estimates it could happen. For this reason I'd be tempted to go with the cheapest unit price as oppose to the standing charge. Hope that makes sense.

Thanks

Moved into new house just before it all kicked off and WFH since then so Bills will probably be the same for 2021(hopefully not) as using more Elec and Gas etc WFH

Will compare the unit prices for starters and see

Any other things I should check

figure out how much gas you use in a year. Use this figure, not any estimates or "average" figures.
Calculate the annual cost including the standing charge and subtract any cashback incentives, then go with the cheapest.

Also - remember to check again in a year, particularly if you have taken a cashback incentive as that will mean your unit rate is probably higher.

For gas, I've been with Flogas for several years, the main reason being they always make me a decent offer when it's time to switch. All other things being equal, it's obviously easier not to have to switch.

figure out how much gas you use in a year. Use this figure, not any estimates or "average" figures.
Calculate the annual cost including the standing charge and subtract any cashback incentives, then go with the cheapest.

Also - remember to check again in a year, particularly if you have taken a cashback incentive as that will mean your unit rate is probably higher.

For gas, I've been with Flogas for several years, the main reason being they always make me a decent offer when it's time to switch. All other things being equal, it's obviously easier not to have to switch.

Thanks currently with Flogas myself and average yearly bill is about €620 this year and this is with 28% discount and standing charge of €42.99 and charge fo €.040650 per kwh

So using these figures and going into Bonkers and putting in figures and seems flogas coming up Trumps (is that word allowed now)with discount plan gone up to 30% and
4.489 cent per kWh
€48.84 standing charge

So may ring them to check as they seem best for Gas just need to check now for Electricity

So may ring them to check as they seem best for Gas just need to check now for Electricity

Going with 2 seperate providers is usually more expensive (but not always). Consider comparing dual fuel bundles and whether they are cheaper than your individual gas and electric supplies.

Also, at least one of the comparison sites gives the option to include cashback incentives when calculating the EAB so it makes it easier to directly compare offers with different unit rates.

Gas/Electric is probably the easiest service to switch. 10 mins of work once you have all of your details, no messing around with cancelling your current policy. That should all be looked after by your new provider. It is well worth switching every year as most providers will not give existing customers the best rates

I changed to Airtricity (elec&gas) last Nov after one year with B.Gais. The clincher was a flyer in my Dunnes Stores mailing for a 250 euro Dunnes voucher to switch to Airtricity for both elec& gas

The voucher will be posted out after I pay my first bill at end Jan. With the Dunnes 10e voucher for 50e spend the whole benefit to me is 300 euro. Happy camper!

I switched recently (first time in years) and the whole things seemed a lot heavier than in the past.

I was about 40 minutes on the phone as they read me a long list of legal stuff.

When I did my homework pretty much always the dual-fuel bundle was best, also much simpler to deal with one provider.

I don’t mind spending the hour or so researching and switching every year.

As a high user my bills would be €1,200 more annually if I did nothing as providers non discounted charges kick in after the first year.

In our household, I can’t think of any hour that is more productive.

I used Bonkers.ie just recently to switch electricity provider from BG to Energia. All online, took a few minutes, input ref number and bank account. They even sent me a key for the electric box to read the meter. Very easy process.

I switched from Airtricity to Energia at the beginning of December, no phone calls just did it online in about 5 minutes
For me it was the unit price that sealed the deal, much cheaper than all the others
I think when it comes to energy providers there should be no difference in supply so you should focus on the cheapest unit price
It's not like BB providers where service between suppliers differs depending on where you live

Switched from Electric Ireland to Bord Gais last Thursday afternoon. Received my account details first thing Friday morning. Quick and simple and very efficient. Expect to save c. €400 on gas and electricity over the next year based on past usage. Did everything online.

It struck me afterwards that to switch gas/electricity utilities is so painless compared to phone/broadband as there is no change required in equipment or internet settings etc. I would think that the latter sector would be far more competitive without this barrier to switch.

Does anyone switch multiple times to avail of the cashback bonus even though they are in contract? Similar to how some on here have done multiple mortgage switches.
The breakage fee from most providers is €50 euro per electricity and gas, however the cashback bonus is sustainably more than this.
For instance Electric Ireland is €265 & SSE Airtricity is €200 when you join as a new customer for electricity.

Curious if lots of people will switch now that they have had a look at their bills for the remote working credit! I know I am :)

I doubt they will permit you to switch mid contract. I think the provider you intent to leave has to give the ok to the intended new provider ( this is certainly the case if there are arrears on the account). There seems to be a lot of "cute hoors".

I am at the end of my contracts so having WFH for most of last year & probably this year so taking more time on switching than I normally do as I switch most years.

Just wondering if users find dual Gas and Electricity cheaper or better go with individual companies.

Most years I have done the latter just wondering what other users experience is?

Panda Power.
Unit Rate (cent per kWh)
4.75c inc VAT
Annual Consumption
11000 kWh
Consumption inc VAT
€522.06
Standing Charge inc VAT
€103.10
Annual Carbon Tax
€58.80
Estimated Annual Bill
€608.96

FloGas.

Unit Rate (cent per kWh)
6.41c inc VAT
Annual Consumption
11000 kWh
Consumption inc VAT
€704.77
Standing Charge inc VAT
€48.80
Annual Carbon Tax
€58.80
Estimated Annual Bill
€812.37

Went on to the choosy website to compare prices. I thought that there was something wrong with the Panda Power calculations. See tots above. Am I missing something?

Back