Switching Accounts

• Thread starter AllyThacker
  • Start date
A

AllyThacker

Hi Everyone,

I'm with BoI and they are nothing short of a bunch of b**tards who take delight in being obstructive and unhelpful. I have countless stories of why I hate them , but I won't bore you or raise my blood pressure again.

Long story short, they can stick their accounts where the sun don't shine.

I'm going to switch, so I thought I'd ask around here for any recommentations.

The only thing that the account MUST offer, is the ability to transfer money to my parents in the UK, via either phone or internet banking, so I don't have to visit a branch every few weeks.

Can anyone make any recommendations / warn me off?

Thanks

Ally

Hi,

There are loads of threads on switching. Just put it into the search box.

Personally I switched from BOI to NIB and I do all my banking Online. They have a brilliant system, far better than the online BOI one. I transfer funds regularly between here and Budapest without any hassle, low cost and very quick.

Hi there

I would recommend Halifax, from personal experience.

Fee free banking on every day transactions
It really is the ‘no catches’ current account.

* No Overdraft Arrangement Fees
* No Lodgement Fees
* No Account Maintenance Fees
* No ATM/Withdrawal Fees for € transactions
* No Direct Debit Fees
* No Debit Card payment Fees for € transactions
* No Standing Order Fees
* No Statement Fees

10% interest on all balances up to €2,000
To get this great rate, all you have to do is lodge €1,500 to your account each month AND as an extra you don’t have to keep the €1,500 in your account for the entire month.

If you don’t want to lodge €1,500 every month we pay you credit interest of 0.1% on all balances. We simply calculate the interest on the balance in your account at the end of every day and credit it to your account monthly.

see [broken link removed]

AFAIK, you have to make International Transfers over the phone, which is a slight drawback.

i also switched from boi to nib, send money abroad. same day transfer (this is to a non-eu country mind you) costs me 15 euro now and i can do it online whereas with boi it used to cots at least 40 euro for same service and had to go into branch

I've used both Halifax and NIB. I agree with all the positive comments very straight forward to use and it appears easy to set up cross border payments. Halifax is probably not as flexible but I can't say I've ever transfered funds cross-border with either of them. Its worth noting that theres a daily limit of 10K on transfers with Halifax. Anything over that and they'll contact you to confirm the transaction. So maybe NIB might be better if you'll be transferring large sums of money.

Both banks offer free banking but Halifax does offer 10% on balances up to 2K subject to 1.5K being deposited (if only for 1 night) per month.

With AIB online banking you can transfer up to 5000 EUR a day via online banking to EU countries free of charge. I don't even have a current account with them, just a deposit account but I could keep AIB online even after switching. NIB sounds good, as they allow trading so I am looking at changing from Ulster (current account) to NIB. Is it better than AIB online trading? Can I buy ETFs through NIB Easy account? Any hidden costs, I wonder? Trying to find out about the charges compared to online brokers. People here seem quite happy with NIB current account. Do they provide a Laser card which I can use around Europe? They don't even expect me to put my wages in, although I wonder is it free in that case also?

Fanny

Back