Switching accounts: Should old account be left open or closed?

gbh2930

Switching from Danske to PTSB and switching form has option of instructing that the old danske account be left Open or Closed.
I don't know if there's any advantage or disadvantage instructing either way? Is there any reason to leave the old account open but empty? Don't know that there is... just asking in case someone knows something I don't...
If no-one indicates a reason, I'll just instruct to close it.

Switching from Danske to PTSB and switching form has option of instructing that the old danske account be left Open or Closed.
I don't know if there's any advantage or disadvantage instructing either way? Is there any reason to leave the old account open but empty? Don't know that there is... just asking in case someone knows something I don't...
If no-one indicates a reason, I'll just instruct to close it.

I would try not to incur any more fees than necessary with Danske anymore. If you use the switching protocol, all your DDs should continue on the new account. I would/will close the account.

If you have a Danske Bank credit card it may be cancelled when the current account is closed.

I closed my NIB current account a couple of years ago. I was told that when I got the credit card it was as part of the 'Easy' package. So when I closed the current account the package ended and they therefore automatically cancelled the credit card. I was pretty annoyed at the time as I had no idea that my credit card would suddenly be cancelled. So you might want to watch out for that.

Personally I'd leave it open for a bit in case I forgot to transfer anything or in case there were any problems or delays. Monitor it for a bit and then close it.

I would try not to incur any more fees than necessary with Danske anymore. If you use the switching protocol, all your DDs should continue on the new account. I would/will close the account.

Fees for 2014 have been abolished by Danske.

I left mine open, as I have a mortgage with Danske.

Back