SW Tenant: norm to ask for a month's rent and security desposit up front?

car29

Hi,

Starting to let out my house to a tennant on social welfare rental assistance from June, just wondering would it be the norm to ask for a month's rent and security desposit up front? , also about getting the payments paid straight to my bank account, any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Brian

Re: Social Welfare Tennants

It is the norm to ask for a months rent in advance regardles of whether it is coming from social welfare or not. More than likely this advance rent will not come from the social welfare so the tenant will need to make it up themselves. The social welfare only pay for the month past.I am not sure about security deposit.

I know someone that rented to social welfare and when the tenant had to move out, they got a key copied and let themselves into the house and took the last cheque and cashed it. The landlord could not get his money back.

Re: Social Welfare Tennants

Thanks for the reply, is it possible to arrange with the welfare office to transfer the rent straight to the bank?

Re: Social Welfare Tenants

They will send the cheque direct to your address it depends on your local centre if they will transfer it to your bank for you.

I gave bank details to the tenant who then with the hse set up a standing order paying in weekly. I then collect the difference from the tenant every four weeks.

Hi ,

Thank you for information really appreciated,

Hi i find this helps, Insist that you fill out a standing order form when signing the lease with them which they will then give to the health board, get weekly payment not monthly. They can cancel direct payment to you at any time and revert back to a cheque sent to them (meaning you may not get your last month payment as they can keep it so as to use the deposit against rent) It is their payment not the landlords, they do not have to have it directly send to your bank account but most tenants will do this if insist on it being part of the rental aggreement. Be prepared for sob stories every time their supplement is reduced or there schemes change or their child benefit changes or the classic, their boyfriend (whom you knew nothing about) has lost his job etc. and they cant pay their part of the rent Im sorry to say this but in my experience this is what happens. You could be lucky and get a gem. They do exist. My heart is broke with the amount of hassle Im having with some rent supplement/social welfare tenants. They just do not take you seriously at all no matter how good a landlord you are. Also Double double check there are no bills in your name, they will not be paid. And can change them back to your name at any time. This trick cost me a grand in gas bills and disconnection charges (took them 9 months to get cut off) plus there were other small bills luckily not in my name. All this after they had kept the last months rent. Nothing you can do really unless you want to try and sue. Good luck! Not everyone is the same tho. I hope your luckier.

Thanks for the advice really helpful anntionette

Cant stress this enough - Insist to the health board that their portion of the rent is paid directly to your account (weekly), and does not go anywhere near the tenant. If this is not agreed then do not accept rent allowance.

Cant stress this enough - Insist to the health board that their portion of the rent is paid directly to your account (weekly), and does not go anywhere near the tenant. If this is not agreed then do not accept rent allowance.
But can this be legally enforced if the tenant subsequently instructs the HSE to pay them directly? Can you evict someone who changes their method of payment? I think not. Then if that person subsequently stops handing over the rent to you, you have the same problem.

I agree that it is better if possible to have the allowance paid directly to yourself but I'm just wondering aloud what happens if the tenant does a solo run and behaves as above?

But can this be legally enforced if the tenant subsequently instructs the HSE to pay them directly? Can you evict someone who changes their method of payment? I think not. Then if that person subsequently stops handing over the rent to you, you have the same problem.

I agree that it is better if possible to have the allowance paid directly to yourself but I'm just wondering aloud what happens if the tenant does a solo run and behaves as above?

You specify your terms of payment in the lease.
You also specify this to the welfare officer. Tell them not to pay the rent directly to the tenant ever.
The welfare officer will not change the payment method then. It is their decision, not the tenant of how they pay the rent allowance.
Most welfare officers prefer to pay the landlord directly anyway.

Back